Name the drug

Help Support Steer Planet:

DL

Well since we always have questions on the use of various pharmaceutical agents in food animals thought maybe we should have a drug post  ;D - so here it is folds.....

Name the drug that can be legally used extralabel in cattle (if following the AMDUCA and ELDU rules), but its use is to be discouraged, and the meat withdrawal time is 18 months!

(winner will receive a fabulous prize from Jason  ;)

Extra karma points if you know why the withdrawal is soooo long

pigguy

Gentamicin sulfate because it can be retained in kidney tissue for long periods. i think :)))

DL

maine12 said:
Gentamicin sulfate because it can be retained in kidney tissue for long periods. i think :)))

HOT TICKET!! Good job - now for the real bonus, what part of the kidney??

DL

maine12 said:
the medulla or the cortex. now i am just gusseing ???

good guess - it is the proximal tubule of the nephron (which is in both the medulla and cortex) so karma for you!

pigguy

i figured both my answers would be wrong. but i gusse i actually do know something ;D (clapping)

DL

maine12 said:
i figured both my answers would be wrong. but i gusse i actually do know something ;D (clapping)

You betcha! (clapping) (clapping) (clapping)

DL

Gentamycin is an aminoglycoside antibiotic (there are bunches of them many used in human med - tobramycin, amikacin, streptomycin which is used to treat TB) etc
they are injectable antibiotics
they have a relatively broad spectrum (ie meaning they get a lot of different bugs) - and is used in combination (usually) with another drug to get even braoder spectrum (ie gentamycin gets gram negative bugs while penicillin gets lots of gram positive bugs - gram positive and negative refers to how the bug stains)
they are nephrotoxic (toxic to kidneys) and ototoxic (ear --> deafness) and these toxicities may increase when used with some other drugs like furosemide (Lasix) and the nonsteroidals (ie banamine)
hope that helps

pigguy

dragon lady said:
Gentamycin is an aminoglycoside antibiotic (there are bunches of them many used in human med - tobramycin, amikacin, streptomycin which is used to treat TB) etc
they are injectable antibiotics
they have a relatively broad spectrum (ie meaning they get a lot of different bugs) - and is used in combination (usually) with another drug to get even braoder spectrum (ie gentamycin gets gram negative bugs while penicillin gets lots of gram positive bugs - gram positive and negative refers to how the bug stains)
they are nephrotoxic (toxic to kidneys) and ototoxic (ear --> deafness) and these toxicities may increase when used with some other drugs like furosemide (Lasix) and the nonsteroidals (ie banamine)
hope that helps
thanks. i am still suprized i was actually right