Name this breed

Help Support Steer Planet:

Telos

This breed is on the endangered species list in this particular country. Does anyone know or have any guesses what this cow's breed is?

Attachments

• JACK COW.jpg
    JACK COW.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 459

TJ

Doc said:
Chianina ?  ;D

Fullblood Chi's do look a lot like that, but if I were guessing I'd guess either Romagnola or Marchigana, which are less popular 1st cousins to the Chi's. 

TJ

afhm

At first I thought it was a White Park but it didn't have dark ears.  Did a quick search and I'm pretty sure its a White Caceres from Spain.

OH Breeder

I vote Marchigiana

Attachments

• Marchigiana Cowmisskellyspride_sm.jpg
    Marchigiana Cowmisskellyspride_sm.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 408
  • Romagnola Bulls.jpg
    Romagnola Bulls.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 420

Cowboy

Back in 1981, at the ranch where I was fortunate to have the opportunity to learn ET, they raised fullblood Marchigana's.

They tended to be real heavy muscled and real thick thoughout -- where as the Fullblood and high Purebred Chi's were lighter boned, more streamlined with less muscle shape and were more tubular looking than thier cousin's the Marchy's and Romanola's. The Chi's had less rib shape than any of the other as well, a tad harder keepers too.

My vote (Seeing how I have never seen a White Caceras) is for the Chianina. One give away to me is the truly old school Italian standing there looking like a midget -- all the time smoking his cigarette! The Chi's -- Fullbloods - were for the most part frame 8-10 in today's standards any way - I may be off one score there!

Terry

Joe Boy

I have only seen 5 fullblood Chi's.  I saw the grand dam of the first Red Chi-Angus we bought and she had dark skin but her hair was more white than the picture.  Their horns look like the photo.  I am going to vote for Marchigiana.

TJ

Dero said:
I belive that this would be an Aubrac, as noted earlier they are fom France.

All the Aubrac's that I've ever seen were a little more yellowish tinted than that one.  If it is an Aubrac, then the background is making her look more like a white cow than she really is.  However, I must admit that she is built an awful lot like an Aubrac & the frame size matches too, but I thought that Aubrac's were heavier muscled than that.

I always thought that the French probably produced Aubrac's by crossing Tarentaise with another French breed, like the Charolais (also from France), because they look exactly like what you'd expect cattle from that cross to look like.  Just a FWIW, my dad was allowed to go into a French bull stud/ cattle research center, where they housed Tarentaise, Charolais, Blegian Blue & other Beef & Dairy breeds.  It was a Govt. run faciltiy & nobody was supposed to be able to go inside, but they allowed him to view the inside of the facitlity anyway.  Although he was looking at the Tarentaise, he took pictures of one of the "new & improved" French Charolais AI bulls.  Funny thing is, he was so thick butted that he looked slightly double muscled & he had a few "blue spots" on him!!  My dad told me that he had never seen a Charolais bull so muscular.  Let your imaginations run...  ;) 

justintime

The more I look at the picture, the more I think that Dero and TJ are right. My first guess was the Aubrac as it doesn't look like the fullblood Chianina I have seen and the Marchigana's an Romonolia were both heavier muscled and heavier boned than this female looks. We used to have quite a few full blood Chi's around here, and they were very distinctive.... as well as totally wrong to work in this country.The Marchiana's and the Romonolgia were not as tall as the Chianina, with the Marchi's being probably a little bigger framed than the Romanolgia's. I remember seeing a couple Marchigana bulls that I thought were excellent beef bulls. I think their colour may have been one of the reasons they did not catch on better, as by the time they hit North America, everyone had used the Chi's and were getting tired of the crazy calves. Most of the fullblood Chi cattle were extremely docile, but the F1's were a completely different story. I have seen Chi cross cows make it over 7 foot gates, at an auction market. Maybe some of these breeds are going to make a comeback, as I heard that Hartman's have been buying all the Marchigana embryos they could find stored in Canada. From what I heard they have gathered up close to 100 of them .

dori36

Telos said:
This breed is on the endangered species list in this particular country. Does anyone know or have any guesses what this cow's breed is?

Well, as easy topped as she is, maybe it's a good thing she's 'endangered'!!  (lol)

knabe

i'm gonna say fullblood chi.  i don't know if you mean an official endangered species telos, or just a reference that the breed doesn't even show the correct color on the breed page and that the don't even have a fullblood show anymore.  the reason i'm gonna say chi is that this one looks drafty with the forward shoulder and hip to pull, has the carrot top head, the absence of black other than skin with the nice black hooves and tail and nice black tipped horns. i haven't seen any of the other breeds mentioned, but i have seen a few fullblood chis.  also, she has that kind of chi head which is very flat sided triangular, with clean neck but the shaggy chin i noticed a lot in chi's.  she's got the natural eye liner action going on.  the hips throw me for a loop a little bit.  she's got the chi tail head with very flat boneage and the tail set real close to the pins.  she's got a chi length of muscle on her lower rear leg.  all that said, i'm probably wrong.

knabe

now that i've read throught the responses and that they are not from northern italy where chi's are from, Foiano della Chiana

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?address=&city=Foiano%20della%20Chiana&state=&zipcode=&country=IT&geodiff=1

this link is where chi's are from labeled with the star, so they are kinda far from france with a mountain range in between

the author of the book as mentioned before didn't say too much about who was in the picture as suggested by browarny who took the picture, since he felt this was history.

jimmyski

I would say it is either the Bernais or the Blonde d'Aquitaine. Those are my best guesses and based on the amount of muscle shown, I would say Bernais first.

justintime

If this cow is not an Aubrac, then it has to be one of about 10 breeds in France that are blondish coloured. My first pick would be a Corsican, but it could also be a Bearnais, or a Betizuak. There are about 20 breeds in France that most here have never heard of.