Naming Breeding Cattle

Help Support Steer Planet:

everybreedcounts

My family has recently started a herd of registered herefords, and i wanted to know how people come up with the names for registration papers. like some have a name like "CHR Spirit" and they either add numbers or different variations of that name for the animals offspring. Im new to this so i just need some pointers

DiamondMCattle

The CHR would be the prefix so the breeder of the animal is recognized. Then after that its pretty much your own preference. Many people reuse names and add numbers so the lines of cattle are easily recognized. Also there are so many registered in the Hereford breed it would be hard to think of an original name every time.

sue

The way we name is not a 3 or 4 letter prefix but the full farm name, kinda old school but  I like it . Leveldale, Lakeside, Waukauru, Hahn,Diamond, Muridale, Matlock, Saskvalley are the only full farm name prefixes I can think of in the shorthorn deal?  No confusion just slap the name ahead of it.

Females at Lakeside carry the cow family name . period. If she's a dolly then her daughter is a dolly 011 and so on . Again "old school".  If dolly has a bull calf then his name begins with the letter "d", again old school but its what works.

leanbeef

It's kinda like naming kids...your prefix or farm name would be akin to a sir name or your last name...it tells people where the animal comes from, and your farm is kinda like the animal's "family". The rest of the name is totally up to you...name them after a parent, or give them an original name. The Simmental association uses a letter in the tattoo of each animal to designate the year it was born, and I sometimes start names with that letter to help me remember when the calf was born. You can also choose a name that might relate to a parent, especially like naming a bull after his sire. You can do that without using the same name, for instance, if the sire is named Thunder, you could name a son Lightning...just an example.

There are lots of ways to do things, and some breeds follow some codes more than others. That doesn't mean you HAVE to follow those same codes...they're not necessarily steadfast rules.

everybreedcounts

Thanks for all the advise! Our ranch prefex is BCR so that is what ive been doing along with the mothers name and then the calfs name such as "BCR Liberty's Ginger Snap". I was just curious because some people have just the same name they use over and over and i didnt know if thats what i should be doing or why thry do it. Also i do like actual names instead of words that arent really names. Im just new to this and i wana do it well.

Doc

I use Woodrange on all of our calves except partner calves and then I use WRF. On heifers I use the cow family and try to work in cow family from the bull side if it is notable. I try to use the tattoo in the name . Ex: Woodrange Carmele D112.

kfacres

Around here, we use the prefix KF-Acres
It's not uncommon to put the sire's name in there somewhere
and the dam's name will already be there based off of cow families or a version of it.
and the tattoo is always a must.  We started out using our numbering system as year born, then KF, then calf number-- but once we got involved with the Maines-- that was a no-no-- because you cannot using any other letters other than the year letter-- and you have to use a year letter.So now, in order to keep our cow families straight, we take the cow's number- and put the year of the calf in front of it for it's number.  Because then we're either getting longer tattoo numbers, or longer cow names-- we sometimes have to drop the sire's name from the list. 

A couple of examples:
In the Rose family:
KF-Acres Kool 7KF1 Rosie (Kool x Wise's Rosemary)
KF-Acres Shock 971 Primrose (Red Shock x Rosie)
KF-Acres 1171 Red Roses (Rosie daughter)

In the Candy family:
KF-Acres 8KF1 Candy Eyes (Visionary x Sweet Pea)
KF-Acres 1081 Candy Cinnamon (daughter of Candy)
KF-Acres 1181 Candy Carmel (another daughter of Candy)

heatherleblanc

I breed Hereford cattle as well, and I like to start off with a prefix, or something that shows who has bred the animal.  Then I add the sire of the calfs number, followed by the calfs name and then the calfs tag number.  For the name, some people like to put miss and then the name, so it's easy to identify the sex if only the name is listed.  Other people I know just use the cow families name, so that you can always tell which cow that animal traces back to from your original herd.  And i also know other people that will just put miss or lad, so from looking at their names, the only way to tell them apart is from their numbers. In the end, it's personal preference, so whatever suits you.