National Championship Game - LSU vs ????

Help Support Steer Planet:

Who do you want LSU to meet in title game?

• Undefeated Houston

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • 1 Loss Alabama Rematch

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • 1 Loss Oklahoma State

Votes: 23 57.5%
  • 1 Loss Stanford

• 1 Loss Va Tech

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 Loss Boise State

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JSchroeder

Where are you coming up with the idea OSU's compute rankings are better than Bama's?  Only 2 of the 6 computer rankings in the BCS have OSU higher than Alabama.

Mueller Show Cattle

Win or loose for OSU tonight, Alabama will remain the #2 seed. I don't think if you can't win your division, that you should get a shot at the national title. Don't know about PSL, but stadium that don't have PSL just season tickets, events besides the games don't give you priority on other events. I was a season ticket holder for the STL Cardinals when I lived in Missouri, there were some really great concerts and other college baseball games that I would have like to have the first opertunity to get but was first come first serve. I would like to see ASU in the BCS game, oh well, GO POKES.

AAOK

[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]O  S    U  !!!!!!!!

wrc

Alabama had their shot at LSU. Now its time for Oklahoma State to get their chance!

DLD

Jeff_Schroeder said:
Where are you coming up with the idea OSU's compute rankings are better than Bama's?  Only 2 of the 6 computer rankings in the BCS have OSU higher than Alabama.

Guess I was misinformed.  Regardless, OSU deserves to be there - Bama had their shot at LSU, at home, they couldn't get it done.  It's our turn.

jason

It is going to be close, I think OSU might have changed some minds tonight.  It helped that Va Tech got knocked down the polls and some voters might lean on the fact that Alabama didn't win nor play in its league championship game.

The fans don't want a rematch, ESPN Sports Nation was running 81% OSU to 19% Alabama out of 100k votes.

I bet T Boone is making some calls tonight.  (lol)

jason

"Outside of LSU losing, everything went as perfectly as it possibly could have for Oklahoma State today," ESPN BCS analyst Brad Edwards said. "What it really comes down to is how many voters woke up this morning willing to be swayed by whatever happened today. I think we're going to have drama tomorrow."

Two-thirds of the BCS formula comes from the Harris and USA Today coaches' poll and one-third from computer rankings. Edwards expects Oklahoma State to move ahead of Alabama to No. 2 in the computers, meaning the decision comes down to the voters.

Oklahoma State needs to be ranked No. 2 on 25 percent of the 174 ballots between the two polls and No. 3 on all the others to pass Alabama, according to Edwards. The Crimson Tide was No. 2 on 95 percent of ballots last week."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/12/whos_no_2_the_alabamaoklahoma.html

Gargan

If bama had a field goal kicker they would be in the drivers seat. lol. OSU deserves the shot at lsu.

JSchroeder

I’m going to catch some flack for it and I have nothing against OSU but let’s be honest, it’s not going to be the BCS that screws you guys, it’s going to be your own mistake in Aimes.  You have to get down to OU and their loss to Texas Tech to find another team with a loss even close to as bad as losing to a 6-6 Iowa State team.

Alabama lost to #1 LSU.

Stanford lost to #9 Oregon.

Virginia Tech lost to #20 Clemson twice.

Houston lost to #24 Southern Miss.

Boise State lost to #18 TCU.

Arkansas lost to #1 LSU and #2 Alabama.

Oregon lost to #1 LSU and a 10-2 USC squad.

Outside of their one loss to LSU, Alabama’s closest game was a 16 point win at 9-3 Penn State.  Outside of that one loss to 6-6 Iowa State, OSU’s closets game had to depend on four turnovers by another 6-6 team to win by one point over a team that just fired their coach.

It would certainly be more fun to see OSU there, but Alabama has done more to EARN the right to be there.

Jive Turkey

Oklahoma State has never played in a national title game before.  You're thinking of OU.  The fact that Oklahoma State has never been there before seems to have a lot to do with why the BCS voters don't care to have them there now.  Bottom line is that OSU's computer rankings are higher than Bama's, and a win over OU tonight should push OSU past an idle Bama in this weeks BCS polls.  If we (OSU) lose to OU tonight, then Bama will be second in the unbiased (computer) polls.  Personally, I'd much rather see any of the other one loss teams in the national title game than to see two teams from the same conference.  That doesn't seem much like a national championship - more like a second SEC championship game to me.  Bring on the playoffs - then we can truly name a national champion.
[/quote]

Uhhh, I thought it was pretty clear that I was referring to Ohio State.

JSchroeder

Sick three year old, can’t go to church, going to waste some time…

Anderson & Hester  as well as the Colley Matrix both had OSU higher than Alabama before last night so you can assume it will stay that way.

OSU 2 – Bama 0

Sagarin still has Alabama over OSU even with that formula’s insane love of the Big XII (6-6 Texas A&M is ranked 17th in the one the BCS uses)

Massey appears to have been updated and still has Bama ahead of OSU.

OSU 2 – Bama 2

Billingsly’s formula jumped Alabma 8 points last week after beating then #24 Auburn.  It’s probably fairly safe to assume that OSU beating #7 OU would jump them by at least the 2 points they need to pass up Alabama.

OSU 3 – Bama 2

Peter Wolfe’s formula has quite a gap between Bama and OSU last week.  It’s going to be hard to be hard to make that jump

OSU 3 – Bama 3

So, long story short, it appears that the computers are going to be a wash and that it’s going to depend entirely upon the Harris and USA today polls.

The fact the guys who run these programs don’t have to release their formulas is absolute crap.  Without knowing the formulas, it’s basically just the vote of six humans that are very disciplined at using the same criteria to rank teams each week.

j3cattleco

I guess I think OSU should get there shot at LSU for a couple reasons.  One of the reasons the major correspondents are using is the "eyeball" test stating OK states defense isn't good enough.  They have played extremely well against the best quarterbacks they have faced this year and other than the ISU game have been much better late in the season.  Also if that kick is 6 inches further to right would they still be saying they deserve to be 3rd due to the eye ball test?  Also OK state has beaten more top 10 teams than Alabama has played.  OKstate has beaten more top 25 teams than Alabama has played. And okstate has beaten more top 50 teams than alabama has played.

Joshua 

twistedhshowstock

I think there needs to be a playoff system as stated earlier.  I would completely agree that Bama is a far superior team to OSU, heck given that matter I think Arkansas is a far superior team to OSU.  It sucks to say it, but if we had a playoff system in place I still dont think the 2 best teams would end up at the national championship, heck the 2 best teams in the SEC didnt even end up at the SEC championship, cause arguably the best 3 teams in the nation are in the SEC West.

jason

It is going to be close, from what I have been reading this morning, I think Bama is going to pull it out. 

From Jeff's quote above, OSU is not getting enough love in the computer models they need to overcome the human vote.

JSchroeder

twistedhshowstock, Arkansas v OSU is a game I'd love to see.  Based on the two games with A&M early in the season, thery're very similar teams.  OSU has more star power but Arakansas is a more complete team that I'd give a slight edge to.

jason

This whole weekend of games was meaningless.  "Every game counts", except apparently the last week of the season.  I can't believe va tech gets a BCS game over the wildcats after getting hammered.

husker1

Two comments...

1.  Okla. Light had a very poor loss late in the year to a subpar ISU team...that was their chance to get to the show...they blew it.  It would, however, be a very entertaining game.

2.  VT was, going in to the championship game Saturday, certainly one of the most over-rated teams in the country...they showed it.  How did they get a BCS bid...holy cow!