NBAR Hamley

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

Whats his story? Looks like a pretty cool Red Angus bull. Would he work in a Durham Red program?

ROAD WARRIOR

He is a maternal brother to our senior herd sire that was National Int. Ch. a few years ago. He is sired by the Billings bull that Piepers raised in NE. I had a paternal brother to him as well that got hurt this summer breeding cows. From what I've seen of him he "stamps" his calves really consistantly. typical of his bloodlines. I would say he should be a female producing machine if he is anything at all like his older half sib. Hamley will possibly moderate his calves a little and I would doubt if you would see much if any addition in frame score. Anything out of NBARS Kelly cow is good. RW

Sundy

There was a really nice Hamley heifer in the Red Angus show at the Iowa State fair in 2009. She was out of a harder made purebred Red Angus 1st calf heifer that was a little straight out of the hind end. I think he will soften them up, add a shot of style, and keep them sound. I think this heifer came relatively small and appeared to be growing well. We are considering him now to use on a few Maine cross cows this summer, including a couple of our Sun Seeker daughters. If he is as consistent as they say, then he is worth using in some areas in my opinion.

TottenClubCalves

Umm hes pretty much amazing! lol. Im at Denver now and we stopped by TC Reds stalls and there whole show string is basically hamley's and they are all unbelievable heifers. If you would like any information or have any questions let me know and I can stop by and ask them for you.

aj

Thanks....I was thinking of trying some Red Angus with a little more style and eye appeal. Just wondered what the options were.

ROAD WARRIOR

Just got home from Denver - Scott had a nice string of Hamely's there and I think they did pretty well with them. I did not get to see much of the show because I was in the barn fitting most of the time. I liked the Hamely's, Huckleberry's and the Mulbery's as a whole. There were also some pretty cool Canadian cattle there, Champion bull came from Northline. Also saw MBAR just before I was leaving, he has a shorthorn bull that alot of people in the shorthorn breed as well as clubby business should take note of, especially if they are looking for replacement females - I think he is the real deal. Oh, by the way I fitted the Res. Ch pen of RA bulls and Res Ch Intermediate bull on the hill, Alot of good quality RA cattle in Denver this year. RW

ROAD WARRIOR

Here is a picture of our maternal brother to Hamley. He was National Intermediate Champion Bull for us a few years ago.

feeder duck

I love the Hamley cattle in TC string at Louisville, They placed well. Style to burn with bone and easy fleshing. I've seen the Huckleberry bull. He looked really good a Kurt and Paula's sale. It to me is a no brainer on bull. Mulberry,Huckleberry or Hamley are it. 

I bred a late cow to Troy's bull you are talking about Road Warrior. I would think the bull you are talking about is "Fat Head". I think he is pretty cool and picked up a couple of units while at Kurt's sale as well.

Jeff

ROAD WARRIOR

feeder duck said:
  I love the Hamley cattle in TC string at Louisville, They placed well. Style to burn with bone and easy fleshing. I've seen the Huckleberry bull. He looked really good a Kurt and Paula's sale. It to me is a no brainer on bull. Mulberry,Huckleberry or Hamley are it. 

I bred a late cow to Troy's bull you are talking about Road Warrior. I would think the bull you are talking about is "Fat Head". I think he is pretty cool and picked up a couple of units while at Kurt's sale as well.

Jeff

Yep Fat head is the bull. Old  T- roy is a pretty good cow man, I think he may be on to something with his bull. We have had tremendous success with both of Hamelys 1/2 sibs that we have and just flushed a cow to Mulberry. I may be out at Kurts to torch some sale cattle a little later this spring. If I am I will get to look through his calves and will probably pick up some semen then. RW

Show Heifer

If I understand things, hamley is a grandson of 121R. Which has a ZERO for milk (and that, if memory serves me well) is up from a neg 1.  I am going to hold my judgement of hamley until his daughters are in production and can prove they can raise a calf.  Mulberry has already proven that.... I don't think it is fair to compare them simply due to age.

ROAD WARRIOR

Show Heifer said:
If I understand things, hamley is a grandson of 121R. Which has a ZERO for milk (and that, if memory serves me well) is up from a neg 1.  I am going to hold my judgement of hamley until his daughters are in production and can prove they can raise a calf.  Mulberry has already proven that.... I don't think it is fair to compare them simply due to age.
Yes he is a grandson of 121R, his sire is Piepers Billings bull that has decent milk EPD (you know what I think about those  ;) ) but the part of genetic make up that is often times over looked is the cows in the pedigree. I saw Billings on the side of his dam as a calf in Piepers pasture just before they weaned him. She was/is a poster child for a donor cow, tremendous udder, feet and legs with rib shape and volume. And as stated before the Kelly cow on the maternal side of the pedigree was one of the best R A cows I've ever seen - ANYWHERE. Any cow that can maintain herself and raise these types of calves in Nolins desert of yucca and sand spurs has my attention. I actually tried to buy the Kelly cow 4 or 5 times with no success. RW

aj

What about the ABS Gravity bull. Wouldn't he work on Shorthorn cows? I saw one in a bull test I liked. He probably isn't big enough for most people.

ROAD WARRIOR

If you have big, hard keeping, pretty fronted cows he might work. Personally I would make sure they had good feet and were structurally correct, but hey that's just me. RW

aj

Thats what I was wondering about that. There are a couple, hard keeping, pretty fronted cows in the Shorthorn breed....about 10,000 or so. ;D

RAShower

Not to rain on the parade but, in my opinion, I thought the Hamley's were to narrow based. It will also be interesting to see how they fair in the long run as I am worried about there feet.

There were some real good RA cattle in Denver but the one that caught my eye was the bull GRNA Signature 823. A 5L Signature son out of a New Trend daughter.

Attachments

• GRNA Signature 823.jpg
    GRNA Signature 823.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 219

ROAD WARRIOR

Interesting comments. I've seen several hamley's over the course of the last couple of years and never noticed any problem with the feet, I did not get a good chance to look at the ones he had in Denver this year. The Signature bull was stalled pretty close to where I was working and I did get to see him in detail. He was a decent kind of bull but not one that really jumped out at me, but i'm not a big fan of 5L Signature sired cattle as a whole either. I bought a Signature daughter at weaning for a fair amount of money and sold her 6 months later for about 1/3 of what I gave for her, absolutely no growth in her. Not what I was expecting out of an ET calf at all. There were alot of good cattle in Denver this year, a bull that caught my eye was North Lines Fat Tony bull, maybe usable in the future on the right kind of cows. RW