NCAA Football upsets

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortdawg

We all know injuries will make a good team go down quicker than anything ...... with that said I'm still a Dawg and will always be. Congrats to Mizzou ! They are playing as good as anybody right now and barring a letdown will meet Bama in Atl. Should be an interesting next few weeks. Bama, Oregon, FL State, or Mizzou could win the whole deal ......we'll see.

BTDT

Just thought I would throw this out for "discussion"... Iowa gave Ohio St a run for the money.  And while a loss is still a loss, it wasn't the butt whoppin' everyone thought it might be.  But, no one gave Iowa any credit.  Sort of like when ANY Big Ten team plays against ANY other conference. Even when they win, they are given credit only with a "but so-so had an injury" or  "so-so had a lucky pass/catch/kick etc."
Seems like Mizzou is suffering the same fate. They have made a statement and yet, as mentioned before, they seem to be given no credit.

My opinion doesn't count for much, but I will take Mr.Ferentz over Sabo, Meyer, or Spurrier and probably lots more that have escaped my mind. Say what you will, but I think developing young men is probably more important than a winning record. Ask any football player at Iowa, and they will tell you Kirk runs a tight ship and is well respected because of what he DOESN'T do, rather than what he doesn't.

comercialfarmer

Davis Shorthorns said:
Sorry but Auburn sucks, so using them to try to prove a point isn't saying much.  Bama, LSU, A&M, Mizzu, South Caralina, Florida, > Oregon, Washington, UCLA, Stanford.  Sorry but untill proven different the SEC is top dog.  I PRAY someone else can beat them this year in the NC or they dont even go at all.  KSU, Oregon, ND all had a chance to end the SEC reign but couldn't.  Hope someone can this year but only time will tell.

You still going with Auburn sucks?  :)   

By the way, do you realize that you named 2 schools that were Big 12 just a couple years ago... when the Big 12 still sucked I presume? 

That is what I find the most amusing.  Now that they didn't crash and burn, the SEC is making them what they are.  What about Kentucky?  Vandy? 

Tell you what, if the SEC wins out when they start the play off system, you can come back and say I told you so.  Until a play off system occurs, keep trying to convince yourself that there is something spectacular there. 

trevorgreycattleco

BTDT said:
Just thought I would throw this out for "discussion"... Iowa gave Ohio St a run for the money.  And while a loss is still a loss, it wasn't the butt whoppin' everyone thought it might be.  But, no one gave Iowa any credit.  Sort of like when ANY Big Ten team plays against ANY other conference. Even when they win, they are given credit only with a "but so-so had an injury" or  "so-so had a lucky pass/catch/kick etc."
Seems like Mizzou is suffering the same fate. They have made a statement and yet, as mentioned before, they seem to be given no credit.
My opinion doesn't count for much, but I will take Mr.Ferentz over Sabo, Meyer, or Spurrier and probably lots more that have escaped my mind. Say what you will, but I think developing young men is probably more important than a winning record. Ask any football player at Iowa, and they will tell you Kirk runs a tight ship and is well respected because of what he DOESN'T do, rather than what he doesn't.

Only reason Farentz is still there is he has a huge buyout on his contract that Iowa isn't willing to pay. Iowa was a decent team. Need better receivers. But they were very physical. Iowa has three losses. All to top 25 caliber teams. Even No Illinois is.

No offense, but you can keep Farentz. I'm glad the Buckeyes have Urban. They aren't playing up to snuff this year IMO but he has got them rolling. 19 -0 is pretty impressive anyway you slice it.

Florida State seems to me to be the most athletic, best team as of now. That wide receiver and QB they have are beasts.

Davis Shorthorns

commercialfarmer said:
Davis Shorthorns said:
Sorry but Auburn sucks, so using them to try to prove a point isn't saying much.  Bama, LSU, A&M, Mizzu, South Caralina, Florida, > Oregon, Washington, UCLA, Stanford.  Sorry but untill proven different the SEC is top dog.  I PRAY someone else can beat them this year in the NC or they dont even go at all.  KSU, Oregon, ND all had a chance to end the SEC reign but couldn't.  Hope someone can this year but only time will tell.

By the way, do you realize that you named 2 schools that were Big 12 just a couple years ago... when the Big 12 still sucked I presume? 

That is what I find the most amusing.  Now that they didn't crash and burn, the SEC is making them what they are.  What about Kentucky?  Vandy? 

Tell you what, if the SEC wins out when they start the play off system, you can come back and say I told you so.  Until a play off system occurs, keep trying to convince yourself that there is something spectacular there.
I know that two teams I mentioned were in the big 12 2 years ago.  I am NOT a SEC fan at all.  I am born and raised KSU fan.  Hate the SEC actually.  This is going to be a down year for the sec in all but I still think that bama is the best team in football and untill someone proves otherwise we dont know.  Oh and yes Auburn still sucks. 

comercialfarmer

Davis Shorthorns said:
commercialfarmer said:
Davis Shorthorns said:

I know that two teams I mentioned were in the big 12 2 years ago.  I am NOT a SEC fan at all.  I am born and raised KSU fan.  Hate the SEC actually.  This is going to be a down year for the sec in all but I still think that bama is the best team in football and untill someone proves otherwise we dont know.  Oh and yes Auburn still sucks.

:) 

BTDT

trevorgreycattleco said:
BTDT said:

Only reason Farentz is still there is he has a huge buyout on his contract that Iowa isn't willing to pay. Iowa was a decent team. Need better receivers. But they were very physical. Iowa has three losses. All to top 25 caliber teams. Even No Illinois is.

No offense, but you can keep Farentz. I'm glad the Buckeyes have Urban. They aren't playing up to snuff this year IMO but he has got them rolling. 19 -0 is pretty impressive anyway you slice it.

Florida State seems to me to be the most athletic, best team as of now. That wide receiver and QB they have are beasts.

I doubt the buyout is keeping him here.  Plenty of others have been given their walking papers along with a large check.  Ferentz is still here because people, even those that like a winning record, realize he is a damn good coach, and more importantly, a damn good person.  He has a bit of bad luck, injuries to key players, players being kicked off team due to behavior, a few really really bad ref calls, and many very very close calls. In fact, I believe last year, 10 points TOTAL and the Hawks are darn near undefeated. A loss is still a loss, but still...  He takes good talent and makes them play way over their ability. THAT is a true coach.

Just heard that Mizzou basketball coach now suspended? And old news, another SEC team having scholarships taken away and on probation. We will gladly keep Ferentz!  (clapping)

oakview

I have heard that Iowa is the only football team in America with injuries, players on police blotters, and, yes, there is a conspiracy by NCAA referees to make bad calls only on the Hawkeyes.  Seriously, I think Ferentz is a good coach going through a down period.  It happens.  There seems to be a lack of top skill position players right now.  More importantly, they haven't been able to find those diamonds in the rough like Greenway that were such difference makers.