Neck Sweats

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

I have a heifer that has just some excess skin under her chin/neck area. What type of swat collar has anyone had the best sucess using? Also do you use the Liquid Sweat product too?
I just would like to firm it up some.
Thanks in advance!

Red

red

I checked & Sullivan's have a new leather one & it's on sale when ordered on-line.
LSN_L.jpg

I agree, they get spooked w/ the purple ones. I tried to put one of those on her this morning & she got upset. Think I'll wait for the new one.

Red

fluffer

well, I guess I am not really sold on the neck sweat thing.  I think it just makes me feel better that I am trying to do something, then again, and this may blow my cover, but we show GELBVIEHS  :eek:, so they usually have plenty up front to deal with anyways.  When I do use a sweat, I do use the skin liquid too, and I try to put some type of plastic inside the sweat to help them sweat.  Don't know if it really helps or not, the bulls that I did religiously did do pretty well when I showed them.  Good Luck!

sawboss

I have had good success with the Sullivan Neoprene, (purple one) it fits so much better than the leather ones.  It is also easy to clean by rinsing in soap and water to remove the smell.  I like how it covers a larger area on the neck region.  I started by just laying it across the heifer's neck while combing and brushing, so that she got used to it.  By having the velcro unhooked before you approach the calf may also help.  Good luck, I saw results in 5 to 7 days.

TJ

sawboss said:
I have had good success with the Sullivan Neoprene, (purple one) it fits so much better than the leather ones.  It is also easy to clean by rinsing in soap and water to remove the smell.  I like how it covers a larger area on the neck region.  I started by just laying it across the heifer's neck while combing and brushing, so that she got used to it.  By having the velcro unhooked before you approach the calf may also help.  Good luck, I saw results in 5 to 7 days.

I have some questions...

How long do you leave them on at a time?
How long do the results last? OR maybe a better question... How close to showtime do you remove them? 

SWMO

I also like the Sullivan Neoprene (purple) for the fit and coverage.  However I do not like that they don't last very long the purple backing pulls away from the Neoprene.  I hope I have found a solution.  I took both our sweats to a local canvas manufacturer and had them sewn around the edges and diamonded across the surface.  The only problem I see with the sewing is that the neoprene may not hold up where the stitches are.  Will keep you posted.

Also I have a problem with transferring warts and ringworm from animal to animal with the sweats.  We are trying to keep keep them rinsed with an anti fungal rinse to help prevent this.

sawboss

We put ours on the calves at night and remove them the next morning, about 10-12 hours.  We have had the best results using them about 7-10 days before a show.  Also spray them down with a antifungus between washings.  This method helps us from having hair loss or hot spots.

red

that's some very good tips from both of you! I need to order a new one so I'm trying out the leather. I too have had the purple ones fall apart. I had to laugh because last year the heifers would remove it from the ones that were wearing it. The velcro staps also are easy to loose.
I always spray them down w/ Fungus Fighter to keep the ringworm at bay. It seems to helps.
Thanks everyone!

Red (clapping)

boomer

Hi everyone, I am new to the board. It is taking me a little time to get this thing figured out.  Anyhow ... I  can tell you how we have used neck sweats on my sons cattle. If they can put up with the purple sweats we use those.  We always use a plastic kitchen garbage bag, snip the end off so it will fit over their neck.  We  rub in some neck sweat that our halter horse trainer makes for us.  You can buy it also just make sure it wont be too strong. The plastic bag creates heat but protects neck sweat. The idea is to create heat only in that area.  ALWAYS wash your animals neck and the neck sweat when done. We have had very good luck doing this  . We are just applying some of the same tatics we use on the halter horses

pigguy

(welcome) boomer we have a purple neck sweat coming, and a leather neck sweat witht he neopream lining

SWMO

Are you eating the animals you are sweating with halter horse STUFF?  Do you know what he is using?  I am sure that one of the ingredients in DMSO and the other is a sulfur based product.  I have be assured that this is the best way to sweat a horses neck and I am sure that it will work on cattle but I am not sure I want to eat anything with DMSO used on it.    But to my knowledge there is no given withdrawal time on dmso.  But that is more of a Dragon Lady question.

boomer

I dont know what other people use, but I know exactly what is in my neck sweat stuff. And yes, we do eat what we raise. If you read what I wrote , I did not say to use DMSO. There are a lot of options for making or buying neck sweat solutions. Do you even know what DMSO is?