Need a good judge for a local show in Texas

Help Support Steer Planet:

farmwife

Our FFA Booster Club is sponsoring a show in December and we are in need of 2 judges - 1 for heifers/steers and 1 for pigs/lambs/goats.  Who would you recommend?

farmwife

Extreme NE Texas...looking at December 10 for the date.  It is indoors with stalls available for those who want to come in on Friday night.  Hotel arrangements are within 15 minutes of the showgrounds.

farmwife

Thanks for the input everybody...anyone else have opinions.

We were thinking about...Eric DeBorde, Jerry McPeak, Lee Pritchard, Brant Poe, Brandon  Callis and a couple of others.  Any opinions on these guys?

JSchroeder

"Good" is vague, what kind of judge are you looking for?

Are you looking for a show steer guy, a soundness guy, somebody who slow the show down to teach kids something, etc.

farmwife

I don't think good is too vague...I'm not looking for a judge to fit what I want to win (clubby, soundness, etc.)...I'm looking for a judge who knows cattle and kids.  We are also needing a judge for hogs, goats, and lambs.

twistedhshowstock

Brant Poe and Brandon Callis are both very very good judges in my opinion.  They are going to select good cattle and both are pretty good with the kids as well!  Brandon and I judged collegiately at the same time and that is when I met him, about 8 yrs ago now, and he has always been a great guy to be around! Either of them should work for you.

JSchroeder

farmwife, I didn't think you were trying to fit a judge to win.  You listed several judges who are all 'good' but a bit different in their styles.

chambero

Best advice - start calling and take the first one that says yes.  People are busy.  They are all fine.

twistedhshowstock

The judges you listed are all good judges, and are all pretty well known, so they stay busy judging a lot of big shows.  One thing I would keep in mind is make sure you know your budget for a judge, some of the judges that you listed I know are quiet a haul away from you and with as busy as they stay and the distance they would have to travel it may reflect in their price.  I am assuming this show is a fundraiser, so you dont want to spend to much on a judge and cut into your profits.  From my experience the people that try to hire a big name judge to try and attract exhibitors are not ussually very succesful in that endeavor.  The people who are going to come show are most likely going to come regardless of the judge unless they have a particular problem with a specific judge.  I find that people are far more likely to decide if they are going to return to a show in following years based on show management, organization, faciilities, and prizes rather than who the judge is.  I think people kind of expect the possibility of a younger lesser known judge at some of these smaller jackpots, and knowing that they know that the management cant guarantee how the judge is going to do.  I have yet to hear someone say they are not going to return to a specific show just because of how one years judge did.  Example, if you have a choice between a $200 judge that is going to do a decent job and a $500 judge that is really popular, I would go with the $200 judge and put more money into prizes and payouts.  You are far more likely to get people to come back for the potential prizes than because of who you hired as a judge.

TXSimmy

Micah Morgan is a real good up and coming young judge. He is on here under OLCC Cattle Company. He also lives in East Texas.