Need Advice on training to lead

Help Support Steer Planet:

urish50

I have two heifers I am training to lead.  I do not have someone to walk behind to keep them moving when they decide not to go.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Silver

Teach them to give to the halter not someone pushing on them. Tie them to something that can pull them. We use a pipe trailer and you can walk 4 at a time.

Trails End Ranch

We have had good luck with the halters with the ring in them, so when they do lead they dont feel the discomfort that comes with pulling on the halter. As far as not having someone behind them we have had good luck with pulling the calf off to the side, then they lose their balance and will walk a bit  better, then having the ring halter also helps out a bunch. Hope this helps!

knabe

animals who herd each other go in circles before they go in a straight line with minimal if any direction.

kanshow

we use a pull & release technique off to the side.  We pull to the side because it's easier to knock them off balance and get them to take a step that way.  Once they've taken that one step toward you, pressure is released.