Need Advice!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Buck

I was checking cows today and noticed one with a 6" mucos string hanging from her. She was bred AI on Dec. 2nd. She is not showing any signs of heat. She is also 12 years old. Should I be conserned?

Buck

Surely some of you have experienced this. I realize that it is not a good thing but is it necessarily a bad thing?

GoWyo

Sometimes they just do that and it isn't a big deal.  If she is preparing to slough a fetus, there isn't much you can do as it is probably already dead.  Good luck.

Buck

Thanks for the reply. I have noticed this before as early as about 7 months but never 4. We will keep an eye on her!

RyanChandler

I had a neighbor lady call me a cpl months ago and ask about the "slime" coming out of one of her cow's backside and why is the bull following her. She was really worried and was asking if it was an emergency and if she needed to call the vet out.  This lady is a retired medical doctor too  :eek:  I had to gather my wordage  (lol)  but essential said, when you see something different in the rear area, such as discharge, or swelling before calving, etc., use some context clues to help, perhaps, ya know, determine a commonality w/ those symptoms in cattle and those symptoms in other female mammals (women)

She just started laughing-- "Ohhh that makes sense" 

Buck

Thanks again, I have kept a pretty close check on her since I noticed the mucous. No signs of heat and no signs of slipping calf. I will keep all informed.