need college advice please

Help Support Steer Planet:

katie_k

I know I posted awhile back about colleges.  This is updated since then.  I applied to Iowa State, North Dakota State, and South Dakota State and got accepted to all three.  Now I have to choose.  I am going to get my masters and possibly Phd in animal science with a genetic research focus or nutrition focus with a second major in meat science and a minor in ag business.  I and looking for opinions on how these colleges would line up in these focuses.  Also which facilities are nicest, which are stronger in beef cattle, which is worth the tuition.  I know Iowa is the most but is it worth the extra money? Which also give the best overall experience? I'm looking for any and all advice.  I am settled on this major so I would apppreciat it if peoplewould refrain from telling me its a worthless major.  It isn't worthless to me.  Thanks for your time! Basically tell me what you would choose.  South Dakota is the only one I haven't seen yet and I'm going next Thursday.  I haven't seen any of the lab farms at any of these places yet.

Cattle Cards

First, have you visited any of the schools?  I think that is a very important part of the decision making process.  If you're not happy there, you won't do your best?  Regardless of which is "best", it's more important which is "best for you".  Ask the department heads what they do, specialize in and if they can give you what you need.  Secondly, you mentioned money.  Is it and issue?  Have you been offered a scholarship?  Partial?  You don't want to go into debt, but if you've got the money, then don't use that as a part of the decision making process.  Best of luck and let us know what you decide.

<cowboy>

knabe

Scholarships matter.

Also, you are now the interviewer.

Ask to get on projects, maybe live on campus at their expense or at least ask about working at the beef unit and living there in your second or how to work into that. I did that and not only did I not pay rent, parking was never a hassle and was free and I had a job but I had a lot of work running projects and helping w show cattle and show cattle projects as well as carcass trials. Many opportunities to besides go to class.

katie_k

My parents are able to help me out a little bit with money but it will mostly be me paying for it.  Iowa offered me a 1000 scholarship.  And yes I have see Iowa and north Dakota.  How did you go about getting that knabe

knabe

Shorthorn Girl said:
My parents are able to help me out a little bit with money but it will mostly be me paying for it.  Iowa offered me a 1000 scholarship.  And yes I have see Iowa and north Dakota.  How did you go about getting that knabe

get what?  if you mean opportunities, sometimes there are just activities where teachers/advisers interact with students outside of class, see the dedication/work and they ask.  you don't need to wait for that.  just ask.  remember, you are now in the drivers seat.  drive.

have a list of questions to ask each department

what activities/projects are available, i.e. volunteer at vet clinic, feedlot, mare barn, etc.

don't ask open ended questions like what activities are available, ask specific ones.

what internships are available

what producers cooperate with the school, any opportunities there to work summers

you are the driver, drive

mainecattlemother

If you are into anything like embryology I have been told that SDSU does a lot in that field.  Don't know if that is of interest but thought I would mention it to you.  My daughter is also thinking about animal science at SDSU as well. 

knabe

text, call, hereford guy for types of opportunities.  if i remember right, he is a recent Ph.D graduate from Dr. Jerry Taylor at University of Missouri.

he has published some very interesting papers, was in a department involved in a wide variety of topics that you seem interested.

the colleges you mentioned will have similar opportunities.

he probably knows people from all three from publishing as well as attending a variety of conferences and may know professors at those schools and can comment about them.

showsteerdlux

One thing to keep in mind is its usually a good idea to diversify when it comes to grad school. Also, a lot of things change in 4 years, you never know if grad school is the best option. I just graduated from NCSU with dual majors in Animal and Poultry Science and dual minors, one in Ag Business and one in Feed Science. I did it all in 4 years on a full ride for academics coming out of high school, worked a full time job, did research and still graduated with a 3.55. The reason I mention this is that I had everything needed for grad school, but the industry doesn't demand the higher education if you already have applicable experience. For me this was true, and things have fallen into place.

Look for opportunities with faculty. They will take care of you without requiring a grad school deal.

If you do make it through the 4 years and somehow haven't changed your mind on life goals, look at another reputable university for grad school. Diversification and the ability to adapt is what will get you places, especially in this day in age in the growing ag world.

DiamondMCattle

In  my experience with myself and most of my friends, if you visit all three you will feel which one is right. It will hit  you and tell you this is where I'm supposed to be. You've set your goals extremely high with all those majors and minors, masters, and PHD. Don't forget to have fun, the things you learn out of the classroom as almost as important as what you learn in the classroom.

maine_man

I graduated from SDSU and loved it! There are plenty of opportunities for working at any of the university farms or in  a lab. Be sure to ask someone in the animal science department about taking a tour of the farms, they are usually willing to show people around. If I was in your position, I think I would go to one of the Dakotas (particularly SDSU) for undergrad then Iowa State for grad school. That way you save a few dollars in undergrad and get some good production experience then you can move on to a good research school for grad school. Plus, you will have the opportunity to network with the staff from 2 different schools. The networking will really pay off when you start job hunting. It isn't what you know, but who you know!