Need fat

Help Support Steer Planet:

Weaverv3

I have about a month and a half till county. I need to put some finish on my steers they aren't putting it on. I have tried oil but htere not to crazy about it  :-\

AAOK

Stabilized Rice Bran - ADM's Healthy Glo is a great product.  1 pound per day, and gradually work up to 2 pounds.  Will also improve Hair.

smo

Has any one tryed to use cool calerias or any thing like that it's a horse product that is just white pure powdered fat

SlickTxMaine

Get some Stabilized Rice Bran as previously mentioned.  I buy mine at Tractor Supply -  it is marketed for horses, but we haved used it the last 3-4 yrs. with great success.  Start with 1lb per day and work up to 2lbs per day.  Increase slowly and watch for the runs.  You can keep increasing to as much as they will tolerate.  It will lay down a nice smooth finish quickly.   

rackranch

Cook crimped corn in a crockpot or cooker and add one pound per head per feeding.  As with any feed change do it slowly and watch for scours.

As far as them not liking the oil, don't give them the choice.  Drench them with it.  but don't do it daily for very long because it can coat their rumen and decrease absorbtion.  A bypass fat would be better..G-Luck

vc

As stated, Stabilized Rice Bran, more benefits and a whole lot less side effects that  can come with other fat supplements or feeds.
the best part about the rice bran is the way it lays that cover down, smooth and even. Easy to feed, less expensive than some of the supplements, helps their hair and skin, and most calves really like it.

Weaverv3

They are great steers but finish will make them even better. Do you think that it will help in the like 6 weeks I have left? And is stablized and rice bran the same? I saw rice bran at the feed store, but I have seen stablized at TSC

GoWyo

Rice bran has to be "stabilized" or it will turn rancid very quickly -- matter of hours.  Any rice bran product would be stabilized in order to be marketable.

Latest posts