NEED HELP ASAP

Help Support Steer Planet:

ska

HELLO! so I have this pb Angus calf of a first time heifer. The cow is a great momma. It is the calf.  I can not get him to suck. I get the cow and calf up, I put him towards the udders and he won't suck. I spray some milk on his nose and he still won't suck. I put the nipple in his mouth and the suck is very VERY weak. So we drenched him with some electrolytes and some of her milk and he got a lot better. Then the next day ( today) in the morning he was sucking just a little. And I left them alone. Then tonight the same thing happened and we are back to square 1 we just wont suck. he is very weak and will not suck. . He weighs about 65-70lbs. please help me. i do not want him to die.

thanks in advance!

IDM Farms

I would separate them for one day and give the calf 2cc of banimine. Then put them back together and see if he will suck

shortybreeder

They won't forget each other after just a day or two. Do you know how to identify mastitis in the cow? That could be causing the calf to not want to nurse.

Wildmustang777

We had the same issues with a couple of ours! The calves had a hard delivery and had some brain damage and no will to survive... What we did was give them a shot of multi min and tube feed them colostrum and milk along with electrolytes! We had to tube feed ours 2-3 times before they would nurse on their own...

GoWyo

Be careful with the electrolytes.  He needs his mother's milk.  Milk her out every day and feed it to him with a bottle and if he won't suck, tube him until he will suck the bottle.  I would keep him with the cow so she can take care of him, lick him, etc.

shortybreeder

GoWyo said:
Be careful with the electrolytes.  He needs his mother's milk.  Milk her out every day and feed it to him with a bottle and if he won't suck, tube him until he will suck the bottle.  I would keep him with the cow so she can take care of him, lick him, etc.
+1 and I want to emphasize trying with the bottle each time before reaching for the tube. Dairy farmers have found that as # of tube feedings goes up, future performance and survivability tend to go down. This is a correlation, so I don't want to say it is a direct cause and effect situation, but it's something to keep in mind.

GoWyo

shortybreeder said:
GoWyo said:
+1 and I want to emphasize trying with the bottle each time before reaching for the tube. Dairy farmers have found that as # of tube feedings goes up, future performance and survivability tend to go down. This is a correlation, so I don't want to say it is a direct cause and effect situation, but it's something to keep in mind.

Yup - I cringe every time I have to use the tube because it irritates their esophagus and really isn't ideal except from a survival standpoint.  Do everything you can to get them to nurse.  Also, the big calf nipples usually aren't ideal for newborns.  A lamb nipple can work better.

IDM Farms

If you have never tube fed a calf I would not do it, got to know what your doing, otherwise milk will get in lungs and die

ska

aw! thanks for checking in! He is doing a lot better. he is just like a normal healthy calf!!!
thank you to everyone on here who has helped me on here!!!!  you rock!  <rock>

ska

every 2 hours i got up and tied the mom up and squirted milk in his mouth and if i could i would milk the mom and try to bottle feed him. i cut a bigger hole in the nipple of the bottle and it would come out easier.  i would just hold his head and put it in his mouth and the milk just kind of went down his throat without him having to do a lot of work besides swallowing.

again thanks so much everyone!