Need help bad. clubby with pneumonia??

Help Support Steer Planet:

RAWANGUS

I bought a clubby steer and heifer from a reputable, I trust him, breeder.  The steer was vaccinated 2 weeks before I got him.  I brought him home and within a couple of days he developed a snotty nose and runny eyes.  They both had diaharea, but he got over that.  She still has it intermittently.  Anyhow, we gave the calf draxxin.  Within a day of giving it draxxin the calf develped labored breathing.  A week went by and then we gave excede.  No change, still runny nose and runny eyes, and snotty breathing sounds from nose.  A week later we gave nuflor (different name now) followed with 3 days of bantamine.  I don't understand why this 5 mth. old calf is not getting over the breathing issue and snotty nose (sometimes clear, sometimes thick white strands).  Can anyone tell me if they have had this problem and what i can give this calf to turn the corner.  The heifer has not develped any problems other than runny eyes and somewhat runny nose and seems fine otherwise.  By the way the steer calf has never went off feed even with breathing difficulty.  They both eat 2  and a half scoops two times a day plus hay.  The breathing is very labored.  Thanks for any advice. 

DL

RAWANGUS said:
I bought a clubby steer and heifer from a reputable, I trust him, breeder.  The steer was vaccinated 2 weeks before I got him.  I brought him home and within a couple of days he developed a snotty nose and runny eyes.  They both had diaharea, but he got over that.  She still has it intermittently.  Anyhow, we gave the calf draxxin.  Within a day of giving it draxxin the calf develped labored breathing.  A week went by and then we gave excede.  No change, still runny nose and runny eyes, and snotty breathing sounds from nose.  A week later we gave nuflor (different name now) followed with 3 days of bantamine.  I don't understand why this 5 mth. old calf is not getting over the breathing issue and snotty nose (sometimes clear, sometimes thick white strands).  Can anyone tell me if they have had this problem and what i can give this calf to turn the corner.  The heifer has not develped any problems other than runny eyes and somewhat runny nose and seems fine otherwise.  By the way the steer calf has never went off feed even with breathing difficulty.  They both eat 2  and a half scoops two times a day plus hay.  The breathing is very labored.  Thanks for any advice.

Assuming that you gave the appropriate dose of drug in the appropriate manner the appropriate number of times you have treated this calf for pneumonia three different times and he has not responded - this suggests that you do not have the correct diagnosis and or that something else is going on - the calf needs a physical examination  - call your vet

BTDT

Is the weather or environment different from where you purchased them? Going from a dry, hot environment to a wet cool one, or vice versa?  History of illness or pneumonia as calves? Could be damage to lungs.
You have treated them with some very powerful antibiotics. Draxxin, NuFlor, Exceede and Banimine are all prescription drugs, so did the vet that prescribed them look at the calves? Temp? Listen to lungs for congestion?
As DL suggested, time to get them re-evaluated and try another course of action.

RankeCattleCo

If the calf still has it then it isn't pneumonia. We have had trouble with Bovine Respitory Disease (ill double check the name for sure) in our dairy herd. Easily transferred from calf to calf. So if the jockey you bought him from came from a farm\came in contact with an animal from another farm that had an infected animal. We have been knocking it out with Resflor Gold and Bantamine. you need to make a vet call before you drug him up anymore.

ejoe326

Have you called your vet?  Have you temped either one of them?  Is he acting normal otherwise?

Lungers will act like this.  Some days are better than others. 

RankeCattleCo ResFlor has Banamine in it.  Are you adding more Banamine per your vet?

RankeCattleCo

Looked back and we were doing the bantamine before we started the ResFlor. If I'm correct we do a booster of bantamine 48 or 72 hours later but I can't be 100% on that. I just milk the cows occassionally (;

DL

RankeCattleCo said:
Looked back and we were doing the bantamine before we started the ResFlor. If I'm correct we do a booster of bantamine 48 or 72 hours later but I can't be 100% on that. I just milk the cows occassionally (;

I find it amazing that people continue to give drugs to cattle and they haven't the foggiest notion what they are doing or why - we are raising animals for food - you need to know what the condition you are treating, what the drug is and what it is suppose to do, how to give it (route), dose and slaughter withhold (for beef) - READ THE LABEL!!

-vaccine are boostered not therapeutic drugs; boostering a vaccine is done to enhance immunity; if you repeat the use of a drug there should be a good reason (ie the label says give x amount for 3 days in a row; repeat dose if fever does not come down, etc)
-Banamine (flunixin meglamine) is not spelled with a "t" - it is a nonsteroidal anti inflammatory drug and can have complications especially if given too much, too long, or in the muscle or under the skin
- Unless you are not in the US Resflor is Resflor Gold and it is a combination of Banamine (flunixin meglamine) and Nuflor (florfenicol). Florfenicol is an antibiotic. Giving Banamine and Resflor together is not a good idea - since in essence you are double dosing Banamine
-btw Resflor is NOT labeled for lactating dairy cows which the FDA defines as any dairy cow over 20 months of age

read the label folks - even if it is a fuzzy calf it is a food animal and we need to follow the rules for drug use in food animals

RankeCattleCo

DL-
I don't administer the drugs, I hold the calves. Yes it is ResFlor Gold. I can honestly say, like I said in my first post, we follow up most of the calves with Banamine or a smaller dose of ResFlor Gold, via our vets instructions, but i don't know which one. Through my posts I would think you can see why I hold the calves and not the needle..

RCC

DL

RankeCattleCo said:
DL-
I don't administer the drugs, I hold the calves. Yes it is ResFlor Gold. I can honestly say, like I said in my first post, we follow up most of the calves with Banamine or a smaller dose of ResFlor Gold, via our vets instructions, but i don't know which one. Through my posts I would think you can see why I hold the calves and not the needle..

RCC
;) someday you will hold the needle - think how smart you will be then  (clapping)