Need help on a steer now!

Help Support Steer Planet:

WBar Farms

I have a steer that I went out earlier and saw his stomach was huge.  And ive been keepin an eye on him and hes just huge looks like a pregant steer.  Its like middle low of his stomach on both sides and he isnt breathing weird.  Can anyone tell me whats wrong and what I can do to help him.

stangs13

Pictures would be great! But get someone more experienced out to look at him.  Could be bloat, but its normally more predominate on the right side of the animal. If it is bloat he needs to be treated ASAP. You sure he just isnt full?

Bulldaddy

If it were just on the left side it would probably be bloat but you say it is on both sides.  Maybe just ate too much.  If he is not it any discomfort I would just keep an eye on him.

trademark

stangs13 said:
Pictures would be great! But get someone more experienced out to look at him.  Could be bloat, but its normally more predominate on the right side of the animal. If it is bloat he needs to be treated ASAP. You sure he just isnt full?
Bloat is fuller on the left side.  Not on the rite. (spell check) right    (dog)

STX108

Bloat can be so extreme that it can affect the right side and cause distention..........I hope that is not the case.

stangs13

trademark said:
stangs13 said:
Bloat is fuller on the left side.  Not on the rite. (spell check) right    (dog)

I guess after you have pulled your head out of the calf's rear the bloat would be on the left side.

trademark

u said it yourself.  "get someone more experienced to look at him".  So y are you getting on my case and say I have my head up the steers ass? Thats not very nice

M-n-M Cattle Company

We had one the other day that had bloat so bad that it was HUGE on both sides. We put a hose down it's throat and in 2 second the calf was normal again. I just don't recommened it if you not experenced as you could hurt the stomach linning. Oh and don't stand where you can smell the air coming out, it made me want to throw up. Hope this helps.

CAB

Sounds like bloat. Take a foot long piece of pipe big enough around so that you can slide a garden hose through it easily. get the calf in a chute and stand facing the same direction as the calf. Work the pipe in his mouth from right to left so that the hose will go down his throat and not his wind pipe, so the left side of the calf. Same as if you were tube feeding a baby calf. The pipe is so that the calf won't chew the hose and collapse it so that the gas can't come out. We have a piece of plumbing pipe that is somewhat rounded on the ends as to not be too abrasive to the calf's throat. The hose needs to be approximately 6feet long. Gently work the hose through the pipe into the calf's stomach. You will want to listen to and smell the end of the hose to know when you are in the best place to release the gas. You may have to push/pull to hose some when trying to find the pocket that you need to be in. After you have relieved most of the gas pull out your hose and pour 20 oz. of vegetable oil down the pipe. It will get rid of the rest of the gas. You may need to keep an eye on your steer to determine whether or not his is going to become a chronic bloater or if this was a one time deal. If chronic you will have to get his "STOMACH BUGS" adjusted. Good luck, Brent

farmershane3

we have a holstein steer right now that does that, he has always done it. you can still see the paralumbar fossa but he looks like he is "pregnant".  during fair week we just cut him off on feed for a day and then put grain on top of his hay and that seemed to take down the pot gutteness. good luck!!

herefordfootball

Get some of sullivans bloat drench, it clears bloat up faster than mineral oil, the oil works good to, dont get me wrong, but the stuff from sullivans will take care of it faster than anything.