Need Help on Embryos

Help Support Steer Planet:

ChristaCheatham

Ok well we've found people to put the embryos in and then buy the cow from them. But I need help on knowing where to buy the embryos, because there are not a lot of sales going on right now. I also need help on what genetics I need to try and get. I'm not looking for a train wreck say clubby on clubby but I would like to find some I80 possibly Monopoly embryos. I want the calves to be able to show but also be good producing cows in the herd. I need these embryos to be relatively easy calving. I really need some advice and help.

Limiman12

Are i80s making good cows?....

I would be looking for Irish whiskey or Meyer influence in the embryos if keeping cows is an issue.    Not saying you can't have both a show steer/heifer and mama cow out of the same breeding, but you probably need to prioritize if it comes down to it which is more important.....  The other thing is how many embryos are you looking at buying?    Would you consider two lots of three, one with the thought of a show prospect, the other from a more maternal pedigree, obviously both could function as the other but that is something to consider so all of your "eggs" aren't in one basket.

ChristaCheatham

Ok that makes more sense. The guy I'm talking to has Simmental based donors out of Meyer 734, Irish Whiskey, Dream On, and Duff Angus females. I told him I was wanting maternal packages for the cheaper end at around $300 an embryo. I was wanting to buy 3 sets of packages because he guarantees a pregnancy for every 3 embryos bought. So maybe go 2 sets as maternal and one for a show heifer prospect? Waiting for him to call me back to let me know what he has in my price range.