Need help or suggestions or anything someone can give me

Help Support Steer Planet:

angus88

I have 2 bulls that are going to a show/sale next week, they have been fine until now.  Last week I noticed they were missing some patches of hair, mostly behind their front legs.  My first instinct was to pour them so I did.  I can't tell if they maybe were licking those spots, or what, but then there are other spots they have either "rubbed" hair off of or caught it on something.  It is not ring worm, the skin under neither looks fine, not irritated or dry at all.  The places there are missing hair are not all the same size, I am more concerned with the areas behind their front legs.  The bulls are not laying in straw, so I think I can rule out mites, inside the shed is dry for them to lay in.  I have started to put MTG on those areas, and I have poured every animal I have to as a safety precaution. So any ideas what it could be, or is there anything I can do to try and get some hair on them? Of course all this happens right before an event....go figure.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!

CAB

It sounds like lice pretty much for sure. Treat twice according to your choice of product 14 days apart

twistedhshowstock

It sounds like lice, but there could be a lot of explanations.  Animals will rub, lick, and scratch to the point of bald spots when they are stressed or bored, any thing that affects them mentally can cause it.  Unfortunately with only a week to go you arent going to get just a ton of hair growth.  MTG is about the best for it.  How big are the spots? Luckily if they arent huge on black haired, black hided cattle they arent always that noticeable.

angus88

The spots they are missing hair are pretty good size right behind their front legs, and unfortunately they are black haired cattle. We had lots of hair on them too.  I just didn't think it looked like lice, but figured pouring them would help regardless.  I have learned so much on here from everyone, I thought it was worth a try to see what other people thought.  It's just frustrating, thanks for all the advice!

leanbeef

I immediately wondered if it was lice, too. Not that the description behind the front legs really fit, but it is that time of year when you see a lot of it. I've noticed a little on some of our own cattle, and it's easy to treat & get rid of. Usually shows up first on the neck or hip though, so I dunno...

I would clip the hair shorter around the bald areas so the spots are maybe less noticeable. Then blend gradually from the bald/short areas to the longer hair... That's what I'd do.

Good luck!

angus88

Thank you all so much!!! I love this forum, what a great place to get suggestions, ideas and learn so much! Thank you for the advice!!!  (clapping)

Till-Hill

I was just going to post the same question. My yearling Simmy bull going to sale March 11th has same problem. Concrete pillars in the yard and he was rubbing like crazy. Mostly front shoulders and neck. Poured him and will do again looks to be the majority vote on here. He had such nice hair before he did that! Hopefully I have enough time to get it cleared up. Good luck to you Angus88.

CAB

Another thing that is a little unique to this winter is how nice it has been. The calves are naturally shedding earlier than normal depending on what part of the world you are located. One of the first places that they'll want to scratch will be neck & arm pit if you will. If there is a feed bunk in the pen @ about the right height they are pretty good at using a corner to rub on. Lice like that area along with in between the legs especially the back legs.

Till-Hill

You are right CAB, my cows anyway usually look like HE** after they calve and shed but now we are 2 weeks away yet and they just look like total crap. They were poured in Nov. or Dec. too. Going to run them all in after the Expo this weekend. Crazy winter up here in NE Iowa. Last year it was froze up mid March and I put cows on pasture to feed them untill grass grew. I don't know what I am going to do with pairs in a month this year.

angus88

That all makes sense, I have a feed bunk in there that the bulls like to push all over the place.  I wish I would have thought of putting two and two together.  :) And yes the weather here in NE has been so much warmer this year.  It's usually hard to find a time to wash cattle in the winter and this winter we almost had to turn fans on some of the days!