NEED HELP PLEASE Dead Hair (How to?) or ( What to?) (or Dye?)

Help Support Steer Planet:

JoeDirt

What is the best way to get the dead hair out?

We went to a show and The judge said our steer looks a little stale because so of the dead hair is still in.

Should we just dye it?

Of some how get it all out?

95% of the dead hair is in the Body and Ribs

He has new hair on the Top But and Shoulders

We have tried to comb it out but it does not comb out.

Anyt help would be nice

THANKS

shortyjock89

After you rinse him, use a grill brick and brush him forward with it.  Don't be afraid to use a little pressure.  Then once you get the calf dry, go over him with the grill brick again.  You should have his dead hair out in a week or so, and new hair should come in soon after.

clubcalve

There is a brush that has a hack saw blade in it (sounds Harsh) but it works great but don't get to carried away with it ;) I got it from sullivan supply hope this helps

Chap34

If showing now, dye it and use it to your advantage.  Sullivans black velvet works well.  If showing later this summer then grill brick and elbow grease.  Also feed supplements to add shine and hair growth.  

JoeDirt

Thanks all for the info

I think I am choosing Dying

What is the best way and instruction to do it?

How long leave on, wet or dry when i apply dye, What to mix with dye? etc?

Chap34

This is what I have done and works well.  Use black velvet from Sullivans,  have tried everything else and other things do not dye as easy and look as good.  I put the two dye bottles (4-5 will do an animal) in a spray bottle and wash the dye bottles out with warm water and add that to the spray bottle.  Spray entire dry animal and brush in really well-I use a rice root brush.  Go over the places with the most hair 2 to 3 times and use all the dye.  Let sit for about an hour.  I have even ran a fan on the animal to help dry him.  After about an hour (if hot may be less than 1 hr, if cooler may take more than one hr) rinse him with water until the water rinses clear.  I dry and then revive the next day.  I am sure there are other ways but this has worked well for us.  I also think it makes the hair look healthier and adds some volume.

tlcattle

i did this once with my mother[whos a hairdresser] and we used womens hair dye. i don't recomend it.[we were black when we got done] everyone else around here uses that black velvet or color young 2.

TMJ Show Cattle

Young colors 2 Black 57 is the stuff you can get at the beauty supply store. We don't use it any more. The dye you get from Sullivans is the best on the market. We put it in a fogger bottle and use the blower on low.We fill about half full of dye mix and half full of Show Sheen. If spraying around the eyes,cover with towel. The directions that are posted on here as well on the product will work nicely. Yes, the product with blade that Sullivans sell to remove dead hair works good also.

CAB

If you go with the Black Velvet product from Sullivans take care not to leave it on too long. I have been told 1/2 an hour is long enough & any longer than that you'll be taking a chance on burning the calf's hide.
  I personally think that dying the calf @ this stage is possibly a waste of time and money. I think that it may make the calf look some better, but there's really no way to make "dead" hair look good. Best to just get the calf shed out asap and start with the new hair. JMO. Good Luck. Brent

mainegirl

There is a brush that has a hack saw blade in it (sounds Harsh) but it works great but don't get to carried away with it  I got it from sullivan supply hope this helps
We use this instead of the grill brick. Its much cheaper and works better in my opinion. It doesn't make as much of a mess too! We also dye our calves. It makes them look a little sharper in the show ring and can help the hair coat. Just make sure you wear gloves when you do it. ;D

farmboy

mainegirl said:
There is a brush that has a hack saw blade in it (sounds Harsh) but it works great but don't get to carried away with it  I got it from sullivan supply hope this helps
We use this instead of the grill brick. Its much cheaper and works better in my opinion. It doesn't make as much of a mess too! We also dye our calves. It makes them look a little sharper in the show ring and can help the hair coat. Just make sure you wear gloves when you do it. ;D

with a curry comb, i wet them or wash them down and and brush down with moderate pressure several times per area. watch the dead hair come off in hand fulls. then when you blow them out, more comes out. never have dyed a calf

TMJ Show Cattle

If you don't think dying a calf at "this stage" will do or make em look better....well I guess you are entitled to your opinion.In my opinion, you are sadly mistaken.Heck, even a judge at a show this weekend past made a comment to a young fella that his calf looked a little stale from all the dead hair he had.Don't know for sure if the calf would have stood any higher in class,if he were dyed,but he sure as hell would have looked better than he did.

vc

I agree, you want to get the dead hair out, but if you are going to be showing the calf and all the dead hair is not out, dye the calf. If you are working that hard on the animal to make it looks its best you need to take the extra step and dye it.

justme

If it were me...I'd die the animal.  I'd work hard over the weeks to get it out and stimulate new hair growth.  Becareful don't leave that Sullivan's dye on for too long.  I do it just as the instructions say and it worked beautifully for me

afhm

Put him in a pen with a tree and he'll take care of the dead hair himself.  IMO the young color 2 is still the best dye on the market.  I wouldn't use the black velvet if you gave it to me, it doesn't work even half as good as the young color.  I wasted a chunk of money on that stuff.

WWS

I completely agree that you should dye him its one of those deals that almost everyone does it you just dont talk about it alot.  My experience over the last ten years is to use the young color II if you can find it.  The sullivans has  a better smell to it but in my opinion the young color is alot safer that stuff we were not afraid to leave on overnight and rinse the next morning but i have heard enough and seen enough cases of bad dye burns with the sullivans black velvet that i only use it as a last resort and absolutely follow the directions on the bottle in terms of the time you leave it on.