need more spring of rib on show heifer.

Help Support Steer Planet:

kndcattle

I know that fiber is a crucial part of show cattle feeds.  Is there a point where you can have too much fiber percentage.  We are showing a heifer that has good depth but needs more spring of rib.  I want to increase the fiber but how much would i need to do so to reach my goal.  Also what do yall use on heifers to give more spring of rib.  Any advice on different feeding supplements would be great.  Thanks.

BTDT

Spring of rib can be accomplished by one thing: GENETICS.
Fiber will only add guts, which is typically BEHIND the ribs.
Too much fiber would be like you eating only lettuce; doubtful you would grow or add much muscle or fat. 
When I showed, I only added "fiber" the last week or so to get that "full look", even if they did not eat well at the show. Again, fiber will NOT add spring of rib.

CAB

BTDT said:
Too much fiber would be like you eating only lettuce; doubtful you would grow or add much muscle or fat. 
When I showed, I only added "fiber" the last week or so to get that "full look", even if they did not eat well at the show. Again, fiber will NOT add spring of rib.
I would have to both agree and disagree with you on this one. The best way to have both depth & width of rib would be to have it bred in genetically, but anyone that shows or watches cattle shows knows that PPL are getting very, very good at feeding for rib shape and over volume by feeding fiber in a variety of feed stuffs and specialty products.
To give you an answer to your question, IMO as long as your project comes to the bunk and eats well & your ration is balanced nutritionally, you can't feed too much fiber type of product, but add amount slowly so you don't throw your calf totally off feed. Some of my favorite fiber to feed are, cotton seed hulls, beet pulp shreds, & good old Purina Receiving chow.

RyanChandler

CAB said:
BTDT said:
Too much fiber would be like you eating only lettuce; doubtful you would grow or add much muscle or fat.  When I showed, I only added "fiber" the last week or so to get that "full look", even if they did not eat well at the show. Again, fiber will NOT add spring of rib.
you can't feed too much fiber type of product,

:eek:

grandchamp58

I same issue. One thing that we use is cottonseed pellets. Unlike the hulls, the pellets expand in the stomach similar to beet pulp. In my opinion they are way more cost effective. A little bit of straight alfalfa hay wont hurt either. We mix some into the feed for heifers and then give grass hay afterwards (for the gut). Hay/fiber is the most important thing in gut health/expansion. Good luck, let me know if you find that secret ingredient  ;)

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

Genetics, beet pulp, cotton seed hulls, sudan hay and or some kind of expanding feed like full tank.
you really have to feed an animal to its full potential. By training its body to expand that gut you tend to create a show animal that has the depth and spring of rib that is needed to compete in today's livestock shows. and honestly in breeding female this is something that should be established from the very beginning. You can't just expect it to be there without tweaking the program so your on the right track.

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

So you wanna treat show cattle like range cattle and it get handed to you in the ring. Feeding your cattle win takes a serious effort. I see lots of people with less than desirable cattle from big time herds often don't know how to feed their cattle.

RyanChandler

No, I would just select cattle that have adequate shape to their design to begin with.  You can expect it to be there. I do.

CAB

I get what you are saying Ryan, but if you pick a calf out and I pick a calf out, I feed for rib shape and you take it for granite that you have picked for enough rib shape and don't, you are going to get beat more times than not. PPL are feeding for rib shape along with picking prospects for it. I'm not saying that you have to feed for it, but that PPL are with very good products available to them.

cowboy_nyk

I think the point that is being missed is that the people who are winning are selecting for rib shape AND THEN feeding the cattle.  If you are behind at the beginning, the odds of being Champion are slim to none, regardless of what feed you put in front of them.  Obviously I realize show cattle must be fed.

tenrosesimmental

In compiling pedigrees of future cattle you may like to search out sires with barrel.  Feed can give the illusion of barrel, however the buyer of cattle the do not have genuine barrel at the end of the day are not happy.  If you have full red poll you may like to consider using something like Eckersley Jackson who will crank a power of rib into the progeny. Wide topped, A+ grade muscle and do ability.  Then come back with a favoured red or black poll sire.  I guess it depends on your market, who is buying the cattle, the purpose and if they are for the local or export market for breeding. The commercial cattleman likes the attractive show type cattle, attractive cattle sell, but they have to perform with marbling, tenderness and feed efficiency.  Also the kg per day requirement. 

BTDT

A calf can be a purple ribbon calf from the beginning and without proper care, it will not win.
A calf that is a blue ribbon calf can be made into a purple ribbon calf with proper care.
A calf that is a red ribbon calf due to structure, will NEVER be a purple ribbon calf, unless of course, the judge decides to make it one.

You can not FEED rib shape. In the anatomy of a cow, the LUNGS are behind the ribs, so unless you are having your cattle run marathons and having them hold their breath and gulp air such as free divers do, all the feed in the world will not increase RIB shape. It will increase capacity BEHIND the rib in the "gut area".  But they are NOT one and the same.

knabe

http://www.lungprotectiontherapy.com/faq.asp

click on question 1 for interesting info on lungs in cattle versus horses.

Cattle have 250% of the oxygen needs of horses but only 30% of the lung capacity. When cattle have reduced lung capacity from infection, they can consume even less of the oxygen that is essential to their overall health. So, it is very difficult for them to resist

interesting.  how hard is it to measure lung capacity? there should be an epd for that.

http://digitalcommons.mcmaster.ca/opendissertations/3130/

GoWyo

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think PAP scores do indirectly measure lung capacity.

kndcattle

Ok. Well I have access to cheap peanut hulls. They are very high in fiber, more than cottonseed I believe. I know some feeds like beet pulp expand in gut. Not sure if peanut will do same but if it don't expand will it be sufficient to achieve bloom