Need Opinions From Some Charolais guys.

Help Support Steer Planet:

Rustynail

A neighbor of mine raises Charolais and has a really nice (in my opinion) bull,  which I am considering breeding a few of my Angus cows to.  I  really don't know much about the white bloodlines so I could use some opinions.  If it works I will put a link to his papers and to a pic of him below.  His name is Silver Spur.

http://www.ubiabulls.com/resources/Mower+profile.pdf

That is  the link to his picture.  He is the bottom bull.

http://search.charolaisusa.com/default.aspx

and that is the link to his breeding.

Thanks in advance for any comments
AC

Rustynail

Link didn't work right, so here is his breeding.  Sorry.

M311761 $ SILVERBOE
                                                                  M394414 $ CECILE COBB
                                                                                                                        F364365 H & S MISS 0480
Sire: M454024 S$ MONTANA SILVER
                                                                                                                        M279910 $ STAGECOACH
                                                                  F561211 $ STAGE'S MISS DC BAR
                                                                                                                        F508363 $ RESOURCE'S DC BAR

M300802 SCHURRTOP 5627
                                                                  M411450 LT WYOMING WIND 4020 PLD
                                                                                                                        F634394 LT CHAP'S LADY 2170P
Dam: F822165 LT MAIDEN'S BREEZE 8242P
                                                                                                                        M301490 4-L UNLIMITED YL06 PLD
                                                                  F602371 LT UNLIMITED MAIDEN 1131
                                                                                                                        F520108 LT PRAIRIE MAIDEN 8016

CPL

I don't raise charolais but I'd go for it. He is definitely the better of the two bulls on that page. Have you seen any of his calves in person? What are you trying to add to your angus cows?

harley

His dam is a wyoming wind daughter.... probably the hottest charolais females on the market right now.  The breeder is LINDSKOV-THIEL and they put out some awesome cattle.  I'd say go for it.

rtmcc

Those F1 smokeys make great females.  He may not be as "clubby" as some other bulls out there but the females should be great!

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
I think rtmcc hit it right on the head cause the angus -charolais females are very good an this bull has a very good pedigree. I couldn't get the picture to come up, to see it.  If your trying to raise clubby steers on those angus cows..I'm very excited about using the TROBADOURbull OF Kris Blacks . His mother has a touch of maine in her that will give them show calves a little better look than a straight Charolais bull.  Trobadours picture is below in pdf.

Attachments

• Troubadour_low.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 162

Rustynail

Thanks Freddy that is a great looking bull.  The main reason that I am looking at the bull I am is because I do not like the popular choices for smokey calves available. I like the looks of Milk Man, but I am not using anything that goes back to Heat Wave.  Personal choice most probably think I nuts.  I also don't really care for Alias, have heard to many structural problem stories.  Once again perosonal choice.  I wish the pic would come up for you.  I think you would like they way this bull looks. Thanks for all the responses.

kfacres

Also, keep in mind that when using a smokie bull, not all of your calves will be smokes...  Some will turn out black... In my experiences, we used stainless steel on some deep soggy angus cows, and every calf came out black, or black with brown/red tinge...  Don't know how they are yet, just born in Sept, but look good.. Wild as HE double hocky sticks though..  IF I was to do it again, I would go with a purebred bull on my black cows... Just like you are thinking.

RSC

Here's the bull.  I cropped and saved as a JPG so others could see.  Looks like a nice bull.  If you ever want to talk Chars with  a Good Ole Boy that knows, give Jamie(Freddy) a call.
www.fredranch.com
RSC

Attachments

• Charolais Bull in JPG.jpg
    Charolais Bull in JPG.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 690

Dusty

I like the looks of Troubador.  He looks like he'd work pretty good on the THC's to make smokeys...

BCCC

Here is Troubadour

Troubadour.jpg

ShowmanQ

Freddy said:
I think rtmcc hit it right on the head cause the angus -charolais females are very good an this bull has a very good pedigree. I couldn't get the picture to come up, to see it.  If your trying to raise clubby steers on those angus cows..I'm very excited about using the TROBADOURbull OF Kris Blacks . His mother has a touch of maine in her that will give them show calves a little better look than a straight Charolais bull.  Trobadours picture is below in pdf.

Think he will add any thickness? I have a solid black Shorthorn Plus cow I may breed for a smokey. She needs toed in up front a tick and could use a touch of thickness to her...super deep bodied and hairy though.

farwest

Might be a little critical, but does he have enough guts or deep enough for a mature bull.  I'm with freddy, i'd give troubadour a try, if your going to try to sell them it will go a lot farther being an ai sire.  If your just trying for replacement females and show calves for yourself might go for it. 

rtmcc

i like the Troubadour bull as well.  We may try him some.  Only problem is he is a three quarter blood so you can not register the females or steers as % Charolais.  I know I'v mentioned this before, but the pure bred bull RCC COLD FRONT really seems to be working for us and others for clubby type calves.  They have GREAT hair, really clean extended fronts and a ton of dimension.  They also have a great dispositions.  We do have an intersest in this bull but they are working great for other people to.  The calf in our profile is our daughters class winner mkt hfr at Badger Kickoff sired by Cold Front.  She is out of a WMW x Angus cow.  He is available at Cattle Visions  at        http://www.cattlevisions.com/charolais/RCCColdFront.php
<party> <cowboy>

Attachments

• RCC Cold Front R132.jpg
    RCC Cold Front R132.jpg
    651 KB · Views: 190

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
The Cold Front bull could sure raise some real good show cattle for the pure bred show's but just has to much Frame an growth to do well in the steer shows in my opinion, I've watched Immortal, Blizzard,an Tundra bloodlines an it is hard to make them work with all that growth, an birth to but the steer guys are not afraid of the birth.With the cattle we have today it isn't very hard to have a 1400 lb. steer an at these show's they don't want them any bigger than that or maybe not that big in some places.