Need opinions on possible Monkey Mouth heifer Updated Clipped Pictures

Help Support Steer Planet:

Ruebush Shorthorns

This heifer is a March 12, 2008.  She weighs 435 and was just weaned.  A buddy of mine was selling her becasue he thinks she has monkey mouth.  I bought her for littl of nothing and figured if she didn't turn out she would go to market.  She is very powerful and stout and I really think she is a market heifer type.  I wanted some of you to take a look at the pictures of her and see what you think.  I won't mess with her as far as haltering and showing if she is just going to be a problem.  I haven't delt with monkey mouth but from some of the pictures I have found I think she dosn't show it very much.  She is short headed and from what I hear that is a good indication of stoutness.  Our steer has a short head and he is really stout he is 800+ pounds now.  Give me some insight on what to do.  I can make some money on her by just putting some weight on her and selling her at market, but I would like to show her as a market heifer if possible for as liitle money as I have in her.
Thanks

Attachments

• Resize 4.JPG
    Resize 4.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 542
  • Resize 5.JPG
    Resize 5.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 515
  • Resize 6.JPG
    Resize 6.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 398
  • Resize 7.JPG
    Resize 7.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 390
  • Resize 6.JPG
    Resize 6.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 366

inthebarnagain

Unless her jaw takes off and grows I wouldn't worry about it, it is not that noticeable and it obviously hasn't hurt the little chunk.  Very cute. 

red

I had a bull calf that looked like he had MM when young. After about 2 months you can't tell he ever had it. Yours looks like a very mild case if at all.
very nice heifer BTW!

Red

Attachments

• 100_1827.jpg
    100_1827.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 565

DL

RBS - Monkey mouth, as you suspect, is a genetic condition - I don't think we really know the genetics, but there appears to be either variable penetrance or several genes involved that may explain the wide variety of presentation. MM ranges from very mild, as is the case with your heifer, to so severe that the calf cannot nurse or eat. Because it is genetic you need to consider if you think it is appropriate to use her for breeding. I had an awesome bull calf with MM - he is now an awesome steer and the MM is barely to not evident. Just food for thought

Ruebush Shorthorns

I think she is a Sunseeker.  Her tag has SS written on the back of it.  I asked him and he said he had to check.  They took her to market and I bought her there.  I thought she looked awful good and I ended up payin $370 for her.  Thought I would chance it at that price and get some other opinions.  I don't know if we will keep her to breed with, that is a long way away but we would like to show her with such little money in her.  I'm thinking as a market heifer.  She is eating grain and hay fine, just crying for her momma still.  I will clip her up in a few days and take a couple more shots of her.  Keep the opinions coming.  Thanks

OH Breeder

WIth the clubby genetics I have noticed more of that perticular type of head shape. The muzzle looks more Roman. Look at a Bull terrior. They have a roman nose.Some of the club lines seem to throw this apprearance.Not exactly Monkey Mouth but small muzzle etc. Nice heifer.

Ruebush Shorthorns

She toes out a bit in the front but she hits her stride really well when walking.  I think with a showstick she will set up correct.  I need to take some more of her shoulders since she was pulling back I could not tell if it was even or not until she was off the halter.  Thanks again for the replys.