NEED SOME ADVICE

Help Support Steer Planet:

showgirl16

I caught a steer in calf catch contest about 4 months ago.  When I brought him home I waited a couple of weeks before I started to work with him and have continued to work with him almost daily.  As of today i am still only able to halter him and work with his feet using my show stick. My parents and I have had no luck in getting him to tame down. You always have to be on the look out for him because we don't trust him because every now and then he will charge you or try to jump a fence.  The other day we washed him in a working chute because there is no way we could every get him in my blocking chute.  We discovered he still has one testicle.  This could explain his attitude.  Our local vet said he would remove the testicle for free with no guarantees.  My question is...if I have the testicle removed do you think you will calm down or is it to late to change his ways?  He weights around 700 pounds now.  I have been showing steers for 7 years and this has never happened to me and I'm not sure what to do. 

OH Breeder

It is very possible if you remove the testicle it will reduce the amount of Testosterone circulating in his bloodstream. It tends to make males more aggressive. Definitely get it done and keep an eye on him. The charging is no good.

midway6376

I had this happen to one of my steers also. When we cut the other testicle out he was about 800lbs. Before we did this he wasn't the tamest animal ever but you could mess with him. After we cut it out we couldn't halter bread him and couldn't mess with him at all. He was completly nuts.

the_cowgirl_in_me

I just had to sell my steer because of the same problem. With mine you would have never know he was not cut correctly except when you were in his pen he would charge. He just got worse... My vet wouldn't cut him because it was too close to my fair.