Need some help

Help Support Steer Planet:

COLEBABIE

Hello!!
So we have a fairly new steer in the barn, about a month now.  So since we got him seems to have a appeitite problem, sometimes he will finish all his feed sometimes not. He hasnt scoured any. I am feeding 8lbs of feed at this time with each feeding.  We are feeding the new waverly katy blend feed.  Im not sure maybe i should add in a grower with it? Its super moist, super fresh. He always eats hay.  We have held a feeding, gave hay, doesnt seem to matter just seems as if he doesnt have a great appeite. IN the past the folks we bought from would implant the steers and it always seemed as if their attitudes changed, so i am trying to not do this as i want to have a successful year this year and so far his attitude is great. I am open to any suggestions, we cant afford to be a picky eater or off feed this year.

Attachments

• titan1.JPG
    titan1.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 523

obie105

Withhold the hay until he cleans up his feed. Also maybe try some sure champ get his bugs going to have him pick up his appetite.

CAB

He's eating all that he can right now not accounting for any hay that he may be eating as well. 2.5% of 550lbs = 13.75lbs of feed per day. That is really quick to have him on that much feed IMO.

SlickTxMaine

I agree that 16lbs a day at his size is a bit much.  I would definitley add the Vita Firm Sure Champ.  It has always helped keep ours on feed even thru the hottest Texas months and really kept them healthy and looking good. 

cowman 52

Have had great results with red cell, the horse vitamins in the purple jug, just a teaspoon each day. You will see an uptake. 

Don't be afraid to skip a feeding, we skip Sunday mornings.  It will help to empty him out and have a bigger appreciation of the feed Sunday night.

paj315

I'm a firm believer in Appetite Express from Sullivans . We feed it to all our show cattle and really helps keep them eating start to finish and on the road. Always had trouble the first couple shows of calves not eating started using this and no more problems they eat at shows just like they do at home