need some information

Help Support Steer Planet:

Rustynail

I have personally never showed a shorthorn , but rumor is the are great to show.  Calm and easy to handle.

i have herd that to. but one of my lady friends has a registered shorthorn and a short horn crossed with a Angus and, honestly the shorthorn cross is more gently . and the registered shorthorn is a little on the wild side but i may just be that cow

oakbar

Welcome to Steer Planet H&BB,

I personally like Shorthorns too, but I think most of the breeds have their good, calm animals and a few that are a little wilder.  I know we do on our farm.

IMHO, I'd recommend that you find an experienced breeder near you that likes working with young people and offer to exchange a little work for a little tutoring.  Any of us who have been in this business for a while know that the people you work with are more important than the breed of cattle you show.  I like Shortys, but some of the people that have provided me with the best  advice and education have other breeds of cattle.  Learn to emulate people in the business who do things the right way, the ethical way, regardless of the breed and no matter how you do in the show ring you can always have pride in yourself and your cattle.  That will last a lot longer than the bright color on any ribbon you may win.

Good luck and keep us informed of how you're doing!!

Oakbar

showgirl2010

If anyone could get their hands on Salers I would go for it.  They are an all around great breed.  They have hair, low birth weights, very docile, top contential marbling.  Must I say more...the only problem is their aint many so if your interested holler at me and I can hook ya up with some breeders around you.

Jamie

GRsimm

I personally like the Simmental and SimAngus cross cattle but also the clubby deal is fun, It all depends on if you want to keep them and raise calves or just show cattle. Every breed out there has it good points and bad but in today's economy I would try to find a breed that has been doing efficiency study's for your first show calf so they will feed easy so it does not cost an arm and leg to get them to the point you want them. Good luck and its good to see more people getting into showing and livestock in general.  (welcome)

GLZ

showgirl2010 said:
If anyone could get their hands on Salers I would go for it.  They are an all around great breed.  They have hair, low birth weights, very docile, top contential marbling.  Must I say more...the only problem is their aint many so if your interested holler at me and I can hook ya up with some breeders around you.

Jamie

I would agree with everything except for very docile.  Every Salers I have ever been around, (quite a few) has been nuttier that a pecan log.  The birthweights and the marbling are wonderful, however I have seen a bunch of crazy ones.

showgirl2010

StillLearning said:
showgirl2010 said:

Jamie

I would agree with everything except for very docile.  Every Salers I have ever been around, (quite a few) has been nuttier that a pecan log.  The birthweights and the marbling are wonderful, however I have seen a bunch of crazy ones.

SL, you have probably just been around the older genetics.  Today Salers are more docile than the limmy's, which are still trying to work out some bad genetics.  I wish you could see our Salers.  They are puppy dog gentle, even the fullbloods.  I do think that every breed however has their bad genetics, but for the most part there aren't many left in the Salers breed.

Jamie

Bawndoh

StillLearning said:
showgirl2010 said:

Jamie

I agree with SL.  I have seen a few 4-H calves that were quiet but everybody I know says that they are nut houses!  I suppose you can even come across a nutty angus and herford, so who are we kidding?

KCK

My vote goes to Herefords all the way. We have a loaner calf in the care of a 9-year-old first year 4-Her and they becamse fast friends. They trust people, like most cattle do, and it is pretty hard to make them mad at you. Don't get me wrong, you get a bad tempered one they can be some of the toughest to get back to docile. You might never be able to break a mean one, but those are few and far between.

Also, today's Limmy's are pretty tame. They started charting docility to get the breed as a whole back on track. I have had some wonderful experiences with Limmy's and only a few bad ones.

knabe

hampshire and bluebutt 15 said:
whats does everyone think is a good breed of cow to start showing for a first year shower

if the first year shower is you, what you might do is see if you can "temporarily" own one to show.  after i started again, i changed my mind what to do based on more information.  it's pretty hard to make a decision you can live with the first time out with the investment so high.  every breed has winners and losers.  shop around a little, see which one interests you to keep exploring, what's available locally, what hurdles you are willing to jump over if availability is limited locally (which brings up the "grass is always greener far away conundrum").  investigate what it takes to sell before you buy, and where your opportunities lie there, as if you buy something locally, that source will be your source will by definition be in long supply.  then you get in the territory of purchasing elsewhere, and doing this limits your support network by distance.

GLZ

SL, you have probably just been around the older genetics.  Today Salers are more docile than the limmy's, which are still trying to work out some bad genetics.  I wish you could see our Salers.  They are puppy dog gentle, even the fullbloods.  I do think that every breed however has their bad genetics, but for the most part there aren't many left in the Salers breed.

Jamie
[/quote]

This might be.  I haven't been around them much since the late 90's.  I just know the ones I was around were the worst.  Spook at absolutely anything, and would absolutely run you in the dirt in a second.  We actually a heifer that tried to bite my dad.  I have never seen anything quite like it in my life.

Like others have said, there are bad genetics in any breed.  Take Lucy Boy blood in the Angus world, there is a reason they named him Looney Bastard at every stock yards out there.  That said Salers are still the worst I have ever been around.

showgirl2010

I wish everyone would just give the Salers breed another shot because they truly are wonderful.  They got a bad name around here because of the huge frame score back in the 80's and 90's but that is what everyone was breeding for. 

Also with my experiences I have never been around a more docile breed than Salers.  We have limmy, simmy, angus, hereford, you name we have it crossed and by far our Salers are more docile.  But we do thread out the bad genetics too and if you don't do that of course there are going to be more bad genes in the herd.  I am not trying to bash any other breed because I have seen them all and like all of them because that is what makes every cattle breeder different from the next, but Salers have changed drastically and no breed can be judged by one cow, or one herd, or one point in time that was 20 to 30 years ago. 

Jamie

simtal

doesn't really matter what breed or type, as long as its calm, easy to work with, and the exhibitor likes the animal. Thats what kind you want first year. If you want a specific breed, take a "tame as a puppy dog" hereford steer.

showsteerdlux

zach said:
full flush calves have some attitudes
Add HS and HW to the nut cases. Aint seen many that ain't high headed from these 2 bulls. Can't beat the calves though so you either put up with it or don't win.
I personally like the attitudes of shorthorns as I havent seen a nutty one yet and I have seen alot of calves. Every saler or saler cross I have seen would put a limousin to shame on attitude. Stay away from EXT bloodlines on the angus as they are crazy(experience being stomped for a couple minutes). Herefords are also almost always calm and I have seen alot of 1st time showmen starting with these.