need someone to feed out a show steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

beattieclubcalves

needin somone to feed out a 650lb show steer from mid february til a labor day county fair for cheap. the kid we usually have do it decided to try to charge us a month what we paid for the calf and he is ridicilous!
any help would help alot!!
thanks

alan

JoeDirt

How much was he going to charge you ?

And

How much are you willing to pay?

beattieclubcalves

zak said:
Why Can't you feed it?

because we were leasin a place for show calves and we lost the lease cuz the owner passed away and the children are sellin everything and we dont have a cooler

PLKR

beattieclubcalves said:
zak said:
Why Can't you feed it?

because we were leasin a place for show calves and we lost the lease cuz the owner passed away and the children are sellin everything and we dont have a cooler
I'm not trying to be a smart-a$$, but you don't NEED a cooler to feed a county fair steer. Keep him close to home, spend a little extra time rinsing, blowing, and brushing--and save some money.

beattieclubcalves

not tryin to be a smart a$$ either but how would you like a kid whose family isnt rich like to do that and get a cooler its my brothers last year we have showed somenice heifers without all the fancy work but this year we wanna go out with a bang and show all the rich jicks that us small peeon people can win overall steer too and this steer will!

BH Showcattle

Sounds like u want to win but don't wanna do the work. You want someone else to pull out all the stops for u and basically want it for free.

TNorlan

Learning to be responsible and putting in hard work is what 4H and FFA is all about.  The thing I hated worse when I was showing than the rich kid was the kid who never saw his project until a wk before the show.  Its not always about winning, especially if you're doing it the wrong way.  Dont thing you'll have much luck finding someone to feed and basically do all your work for cheap. 

PLKR

OK, you want to "show the rich jocks" that you can beat them with this steer--nothing wrong with that...but, why not do it yourself (you and your family)?  I think it would be alot more satisfying to feed and care for the steer at home, do the hard work that it takes to develop a winner, and prove that you can accomplish your goals. I can understand wanting to "go out with a bang", but I don't think it is necessary to have someone else care for the steer if you and your family are willing to put in the effort at home. As for the cooler--don't get too caught up in that being essential for your success. I think some people use that as an excuse for not winning--"well, my steer wasn't in a cooler all summer..." If your steer is good enough, he can win a county fair without being in a cooler--a cooler will not replace hard work.  As several folks on SP can attest to, we have shown several nationally competitive cattle the last few years that spent ZERO days in AC. Are there times in July and August that it would be easier to keep hair growing with an air conditioned room? SURE!  But it still doesn't replace hard work.              I wish you and your family good luck with your cattle, and I hope you are able to accomplish your goals. I truly think it will be the most rewarding if you keep the steer at home and do the work as a family. I am not trying to be hard on you, just speaking from years of experience. (Yes, I'm old--46 LOL)  Anyway, Good Luck!

beattieclubcalves

we will be takin care of the steer at home got us a new chuhnk of ground for our show calves since the last lease fell thru