Need Suggestions for Red Angus Steer Sires

Help Support Steer Planet:

DLD

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Easiest way = registered calves.

Takes too much time and money to verify that the calf registered is indeed the calf being shown, not just one with the same tattoo and same owner, so no, that's not really any easier.  The way it's being done now is the easiest. 

shortyjock89

It doesn't take time and money to sift the calves at every show?  I'm just wondering.  Here in IL, if you have the papers and tatoo, you're pretty much good to go. If there are any descrepancies, you go to the X Bred class.  I'm not saying it wouldn't take resources to make sure that the real papers are with the right calf, but it works for us up north.

chambero

Not at all.  Folks down here figured out a long time ago that papers on steers aren't worth the paper they are printed on - for any breed.  There is a little talk about giving DNA testing a try, but I don't know if or when that'll happen.

We sell a lot of real Angus calves and calves that aren't but that people show them Angus.  I'll guarantee you we've had more of our 100% Angus calves sifted over the years than ones that have a little Maine or Chi in them.  

In regards to comments about muscle, its all relative.  No Angus (black or red) sired calves have the amount of muscle that the very best crossbred-sired calves (Heat Waves, Charolais, etc).  Doesnt' mean they can't have any muscle, just not that much which was in answer to a question Dusty asked.  You can't go run in a stud red or black Heatwave calf into an Angus class and expect to get in.  You can get in a middle of the road one, but not one of the mooses.

Our way of classifying is just as honest as any other way and is more similar to how feedlot buyers would sort these cattle.

Dusty

DLD said:

Takes too much time and money to verify that the calf registered is indeed the calf being shown, not just one with the same tattoo and same owner, so no, that's not really any easier.  The way it's being done now is the easiest. 

I would have to agree with showing by characteristics instead of papers.  Up north you can take a calf and essentially paper it whatever you want it doesn't even have to really look the part....  The Mainetainer, Maine, Chi, Shorthorn and Shorthorn+ classes are all essentially just crossbreds.  Kind of defeats the purpose of breed steer show.  With the showing by characteristics you wouldn't have the hassle of registering steers and transferring etc....

DLD

If you're going to have to have them registered, the only way to prove without a doubt that the calf matches the papers is by DNA testing - there's the time and expense. I know that at least here in OK in the past there were lawsuits and delays and all sorts of bull smoothie over steer classification until they eventually realized that you put it in the book that the ultimate decision is visual appraisal by the official classifier(s) - viola, much bull smoothie done away with.

In TX, all the steers are validated (nominated) for all the majors, Dallas, Fort Worth, San Antonio, Austin, Houston, and I believe San Angelo, plus most counties, in June.  Now I can't even hazard a guess as to how many are validated at that time, but it has to be thousands - there's just no practical way to classify them at that time, so it's done when they get to each show.  Each steer is led before a commitee who visually analyzes them and approves them for their particular breed (or not). It's simple, straightforward, and it works.

DL

Gotta disagree with you on this one - as someone who has checked in papered cattle for a long time it is a fiasco - you can paper anything and when the tattoo is unreadable or not right or doesn't exactly match the papers or when the red calf is suppose to be black on paper oh what fun is had at check in :eek: :eek:

Bawndoh

The sleeper bull out of Canada is Fully Loaded. I am waiting for semen to come available. I want to use him on our Mulberry heifer for her second calf.

Sorry, he is not a sleeper.  Six Mile had calves sell in their spring bull sale out of him and none were near the high sellers.  I was never a fan of the bull, but that is just my opinion.  We were stalled 20 feet away from him for 7 days at CWA so I had a "GOOD" look at him.  Also watched him get fit for the RBC Beef Supreme Challenge. 
Sakic I am told, looks phenomenal as a 2 year old, and may be at CWA.  He is a qualifier for the RBC Beef Supreme, and I am told there are MAYBE 3 other bulls that could even spit on him. 

shortyjock89

Alright, well I'm wrong then..Isn't the first, and certainly won't be the last....

TPX

Bawndoh said:
The sleeper bull out of Canada is Fully Loaded. I am waiting for semen to come available. I want to use him on our Mulberry heifer for her second calf.

Sorry, he is not a sleeper.  Six Mile had calves sell in their spring bull sale out of him and none were near the high sellers.  I was never a fan of the bull, but that is just my opinion.  We were stalled 20 feet away from him for 7 days at CWA so I had a "GOOD" look at him.  Also watched him get fit for the RBC Beef Supreme Challenge. 
Sakic I am told, looks phenomenal as a 2 year old, and may be at CWA.  He is a qualifier for the RBC Beef Supreme, and I am told there are MAYBE 3 other bulls that could even spit on him. 

You are right Fully Loaded isn't a sleeper. In fact he is already a proven producer! Let me also make a correction for you: Six Mile's top seller in their bull sale was Full Throttle 171T a son of Fully Loaded ($37,500) and part of him was already sold to Genex before the sale - AND all the Fully Loaded calves averaged almost $7300! If you are afraid of thick, high performing, well muscled cattle well then Fully Loaded may not be appealing to you!
You are right about Sakic - he looks good and is back in stud. They are hoping to show him this fall but aren't sure yet.