Need to add belly

Help Support Steer Planet:

Ohio1

My steer show is at the end of August and I have a really nice walks alone steer but I need just a little more depth of belly and flank. Would hay help this? Or what would? Thanks

Mainevent

Purina pre con, beet pulp, or depth charge etc. and a pump. Free hay to help fill him and stretch the gut.

cowman 52

We have had good luck using the ground hay or chaff hay found at tsc stores. Need to feed it wet but if you are kind of close on the finish, it will add some full. We make it about 1/3 of total ration, just add to the grain. They like the taste, and it is impossible to over feed, when they get full, they quit. The timothy hay is really digestible, and doesn't seem to slow down the gain.

Ohio1

Do you think that 29 days on feed of this would help?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 666

paj315

Umbargers Payload will add depth. But, it was designed for heifers so your rate of gain may be affected so if you need to put a lot of weight on before your show he may not get there. We feed a lot of wet beet pulp and Purina Depth Charge. Again though the Depth Charge will result in less feed intake at the beginning because it expands in the gut and fill them up but after a while the feed intake will increase after the stomach is stretched.

vc

We add about 3 pounds of dry beetpulp to the feed and for the last 2 months they get all the 3 way hay they want at night, after they clean up their grain. The coarse hay seems to fill their gut naturally and they gain weight on it as well.

grandchamp58

Walks alone steers usually have that issue sometimes. We really like feeding cottonseed hull pellets. They really add depth and they keep the gut working really well. Give him plenty of hay, too! Goodluck.