need to buy clippers- what do you recommend?

Help Support Steer Planet:

5PCC

What do you recommend as a decent set of clippers for someone with zero clipping experience? It would be nice to get something with more than one type of blade that is reasonably priced.

Also- what do you recommend for a child to use when getting some clipping experience? My kids are 13-13-10. I am thinking of something light weight that a child can hold without making their arm tired quickly.

Thank you!

3gccfarm

I learned to clip with a set if 2 speed Andis as currently use a set of the cordless Andis. Got my hands on a set if the 5 speeds at jr nationals this summer and loved them. All are good clippers and basically any will work. Just depends on how much your wanting to spend. Even a set if the old Andis clipper would be good to learn the basics with.

Doc

I bought a set of the 5 speeds this weekend at KY Expo. Haven't used them much , but what I have I like them. They are definitely lighter than the 2 speeds.

DiamondMCattle

If your just looking to start Sullivans usually has quite a few used pairs, especially at some of the bigger shows. They are pretty reasonably priced.

Tallcool1

3gccfarm said:
I learned to clip with a set if 2 speed Andis as currently use a set of the cordless Andis. Got my hands on a set if the 5 speeds at jr nationals this summer and loved them. All are good clippers and basically any will work. Just depends on how much your wanting to spend. Even a set if the old Andis clipper would be good to learn the basics with.

I would tend to agree with this......they are all good, and everyone involved is a beginner.  Once you have all got some experience is when you will be able to develop personal preferences.

More important than the actual clippers is that the kids understand how to keep the blades sharp!  Clean cattle = sharp blades!

As far as getting the kids started, I am a big believer in the clipper guards or blade combs.  I am not sure exactly what they are called, but they work.  Basically you snap the guard on the bottom of a #10?? blade and it will not allow the hair to be clipped any shorter than the guard.  Then just turn them loose and let them learn about blade angles, how fast to move the clippers, etc.  You have to understand that the flat style blades will NOT mow through the hair like a blocking blade, but the kids can learn a lot along the way.

JDP

I have a set of the andis light speeds and really like them not sure i have ever really had to have the lights on them though.  I recently got a set of the con air fx clippers. I really like how they balance in my hand but clipping with them causes my hand to go numb worse than the light speeds. The motor design seems to cause a bit more vibration.  they are all good just your personal preference.  GOOD LUCK!