Need to get cows started to flush!

Help Support Steer Planet:

nck21

We gave two cows a shot of Estrumate last Thursday and neither of them came into heat. We are planning to flush both of them. They calved on February 15th and February 26th.

Our embryologist palpated them and didn't think they had cycled since they had calved. We would like to get them flushed before June.

Would CIDR's help to get them started?

obie105

Our cow that calved Feb 1 just cycled April 5 I believe and we flushed her this Monday. Our guy says that he like for them to have natural cycle before getting them ready to flush. Personally I would have started with a Cidrs to bring them in but that is just me.  We did it this year with all our recip cows and got great results. I would talk to whoever is doing your flush work and see what they think.

Cowboy

Your donors really need to have thier second natural heat before being superovulated. Some try and go with thier first heat, but thatmeans they have to flush almost before they are 60 days open, that is asking alot.

I only use natural heats here if at all possible, it just seems like that the more you jack them around the worse it gets. If they calves the middle of Feb, they sure should be having their second heats by now. If all else fails, a Cidr will jump start them, but that means going thru two sets of syncronizing to get them flushed most of the time. As I said, the less you do to them the better, they will usually tell you when they are ready,

Good luck with them, Tell England I said hello from Nebraska!

Terry

poorfarmer

nck21 said:
We gave two cows a shot of Estrumate last Thursday and neither of them came into heat. We are planning to flush both of them. They calved on February 15th and February 26th.

Our embryologist palpated them and didn't think they had cycled since they had calved. We would like to get them flushed before June.

Would CIDR's help to get them started?
I am not knocking your program at all but these are something's we have tried to help our program.1.are you feeding a good quality mineral to your cow's.2.are the selineum level's low in your forage ,if so mu-se helped us alot in this aspect 3.is the body score low on the donor due to the fact  that she is milking hard for her calf and need's some sort supplement to improve her body score.4 we have had better result's with lutelyse than estrumate.5 we have had some cow's that really did not cycle until they we 90 plus day's into there lactation for some reason.I know it get's real frustrating at times but sometime's mother nature hold's the trump card and don't care about the embryo man.you can try a cidr but they work better for us if we clean them off with GnRh 48 hour's before putting one in.I hope this was some help and good luck .