Need weight on cow

Help Support Steer Planet:

showgirl15

I have a cow that we just had AI about 30days ago and she has gotten pretty skinny as we were trying to get her bred. What would be a good recommendation to put weight and depth back in her as I have a cow show in less than 30days and were showing her as a cow calf? Any comments would be appreciated as I dont want to over condition her but would like to put some meat on her!

rackranch

Worm here twice, 14 days apart, if its been awhile since her last. I would also slowly bring her up on a steer finishing ration at a rate of 2.5% of her body weight a day until you get the look you want.

RyanChandler

Wow, a finishing ration - that's gonna be expensive.  Let me ask, you said you were making her lose weight in order to get her bred? Is that what I'm seeing?

rackranch

Is the all you have to offer? It is only 30 days.  Sounds like your asking a question that has nothing to do with the op's question so you can bash them about their method.  ???

-XBAR- said:
Wow, a finishing ration - that's gonna be expensive.  Let me ask, you said you were making her lose weight in order to get her bred? Is that what I'm seeing?

showgirl15

Rack ranch,
I am worming tonight and I do have her back on some finisher and some beetpulp to strtch her gut and give the fill she needs!

To answer the question she lost weight because she was in the cow pen and she had to fight to eat. She has never been fat Im just needing some condition on her to make her look presentanle for the fair!

Thank you for the help!

firesweepranch

We feed our pairs DDGs, and that is it. It works really good at keeping weight on them for the show season.

ejoe326

How old is her calf?

Is she on free choice hay?  What kind of hay?

What kind of feed do you have available?

sizzler14

give her Safe Guard and Ivomec. If you have her in an area where you can feed her alone each day, try putting a product available through Rowe Nutrition called Enhance in her feed. 45 day supply is $45 and i have gotten over an additional 1 pound per day gain from it. My heifer was gaining around 3 pounds a day and now she is gaining over 4. Also, I would put about a tablespoon of Vegetable Oil in her feed also for added weight gain! I would give her grain for 30 days. If you put just 75 pounds on her with a calf at side, she is going to look completely different

Latest posts