Needed: pictures for livestock judging

Help Support Steer Planet:

flacowman

If anyone has any pictures they would be willing to post in replies that I could put in a slideshow for a high school livestock judging team, that would be amazing.  I have copied a bunch of pictures from the site and others but you would be amazed at how few there are that are ideal for judging, but most of us take good pictures on here and any help would be greatly appreciated.  <rock>

simmangus45

Go to http://www.bergersherdmasters.com

Once you are there you can click under the" 2011 Yearling Bull Sale" link and scroll down.  You will find about 30 Simm-Angus Yearling bull pictures.  Also click under the "Bull Sale" link and you will find around an additional 30 pictures per year that you can use as well(Years 2006 -2010).  If you click on the individual pictures in years 2006-2010, they are large high resolution pictures that should work for what you want.

The Show

judging101.com It's $45/annually, but it is worth every single dollar. If covers cattle, pigs, lambs, goats, and horses. Several classes of each with uniform pictures, and has placings, cuts, and reasons.

flacowman

I bought judging101 accounts for all of the FFA and 4H chapters in the county this year as our farm's contribution to the county in general so they have that resource, but I know from experience that the more variety you can put in front of them the better they will learn.  I know we practiced mostly on live cattle but it was the same 50 or so and we knew the calves inside and out before long and the benefit decreased markedly once we started recognizing cattle

CPL

flacowman said:
I bought judging101 accounts for all of the FFA and 4H chapters in the county this year as our farm's contribution to the county in general so they have that resource, but I know from experience that the more variety you can put in front of them the better they will learn.  I know we practiced mostly on live cattle but it was the same 50 or so and we knew the calves inside and out before long and the benefit decreased markedly once we started recognizing cattle

My judging team used Judging101 -  and to be quite honest it is a real let down. The classes are NEVER updated, About half the class do not have official placings or reasons, and DO NOT let your kids get used to judging any type of livestock in 2D.

While getting out and actually looking at stock in person is the way to go, during sometimes of the year it's just not possible (weather, age of stock, schedule conflicts with team members, etc) - In which case I'd recommend LivestockJudging.com, a site that actually has video (and good quality video too) of stock already set up in an actual class at an actual contest.

flacowman

I was introduced to livestockjudging.com last night actually and really liked the few classes I looked at.  We just use 101 for starting middle school kids and when other plans fall through.  I have several breeders who have already happily agreed to put classes together for the kids and I'll give them official placings and cuts, but like someone said, sometimes things just don't work out to get out of a classroom and they need something to fall back on.  Thanks for the help y'all!

kfacres

I literally have thousands of sheep and beef cattle pictures... but no sensable, logicaly way to get them to you..

ETA- you can go to our website http://showsheep.webs.com/apps/photos/  and get some pictures of yearling ewes, and a few of lambs.  There is pictures scattered all over it, help yourself to them...  as long as you promote us to your Oxford friends ;)