New Angus Ads (no need for crossbreeding)

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cabanha Santa Isabel - BR

I'm from Brazil, where almost all AI bulls are from USA and Canada.
Maybe your bulls are different one than used here. Maybe the dirty are send to here as some people are telling.
By the way, if some breeders are dishonest, who pays are the breed that they keep.
I'm explaining about what I'm seeing here.

mark tenenbaum

Good honest talk Cabo-and the so-called certified Angus beef is as much of a myth as thier so-called only solution to calving ease-and the showring too-what a joke-in the first place-the horns probably go back to the Amerifax cattle that ALOT OF ANGUS are related to-in recent years-IVE sen thousands of Holstien steers in feedlots due to the fact that they are way more uniform in size etc-wonder if they might be cerified "Holstien beef" along with the other semi black hided x-breds that you cant tell what they are, lets not even get started about the wonderfull Angus temperment-and or the FACT-that there is Shorthorn DNA in every animal of Angus blood-because thats who they are descended from. Im just tired of all thier smug rituals and "documentations"-any breed can look good when a few records are kept out of what isnt remoteely the population of that species-because there are so many of them-that doesnt make them any better than the other breeds of cattle who seem to do just as well as not better side by dide-and DAM sure are more attractive-structurally correct-and attractive. O0

Mill Iron A

I agree Chambero the CAB grid is the best thing to happen to about 10 breeds or so.  The one thing I don't understand is the feedlots wanting you to go purebred angus.  Most of the large feedlots I have been around cuss the pure black calves because they don't feed as well and they tend to get sick faster.  Given that you are from Texas and that some of the biggest yards are from Texas I'm sure you sell to some pretty high up there feeders but man that is so backwards from the feedlots in CO, NE, KS, OK etc. Now most do want only half to 1/4 continental but the simangus, char red angus cross deals have absolutely lit up sale barns and the video in MT, WY,SD, ND, and the other states mentioned above.  I agree we need an angus base but pure?  One thing that hasn't been mentioned on here are programs like Gateway Simmental in MT.  They now have several bulls in major A.I. companies that are crossed up! They basically have their own breed! And guess what, in this day and age we need to forget the barriers of breeds and go with what makes sense.  Cattle that can have excellent mothers, good terminal feedlot calves, that grow and grade choice in a reasonable amount of time with a heavy carcass and high dp should be the hot cattle.  Not this angus breeder or that charolais breeder or whatever, if you have the data and can show me you are kicking everyones behind with a braunvieh I will sit up and pay attention.  Not saying I would go that way but a closed mind is hurting our industry.  Also, I disagree with you that beef is expensive to raise, we quickly forget that cattle convert forage into beef.  Poor, steep hillside, nasty range land, that wouldn't ever be farmed.  That is not how most cattle are raised but that is cheaper than feeding a chicken $7 corn. Oh and this grass fed deal does not make sense at all.... I know we will breed cattle from the 50's and they will be more efficient... WHAT? High performance cattle perform on grass and finish in the same amount of time as the midgets with more meat.  And if you have ever eaten grass fed beef you will know that the fat is disgusting so this argument of high quality grade is kind of mute.

Aussie

Mill Iron A said:
Oh and this grass fed deal does not make sense at all.... I know we will breed cattle from the 50's and they will be more efficient... WHAT? High performance cattle perform on grass and finish in the same amount of time as the midgets with more meat.  And if you have ever eaten grass fed beef you will know that the fat is disgusting so this argument of high quality grade is kind of mute.
Mill Iron A just because grass fed does not work where you live does not mean it is not efficient in other parts of the world. We can grow grass easily and cheaply we use high performance cattle that grow and gain quickly on grass the grows nearly year round. Interestingly the packer I buy for producing only grass fed beef as most packers here do has had a much increased demand from the States. As for the taste It is what you are used to I find grain fed very bland.

DLD

RundelLivestock said:
Cabanha Santa Isabel you are extremely misinformed. I can tell you I've done my share of torching and clipping Angus bulls along with going to a number bull sales and I have yet to come across in the past couple of years that have had horns or markings.  I don't know what's going on where you're from but it isn't certainly not going on in this neck of the woods.  The only way I can see what you see happening is if someone isn't being truthfully honest with the buyer so it don't think its the breed its a lack of character for the producer.

No offense, but of course you don't see the horned/scurred ones or the ones with extra white.  They don't go through the registered bull sales, they go through a sale barn (probably some distance from home, and/or under a name other than the one that breeder markets their purebreds in) right after weaning.  I'm not saying every breeder gets a big percentage of them every time, but they do happen - to every breeder sooner or later.  Spend some time in the sale barns and you'll see 'em.  I'm not criticizing or condemning anyone, but if you believe every animal out there with a set of Angus papers (or Hereford or anything else) is 100% pure just because those papers say so, you're being very naïve.  I have friends in the Angus business that are as honest as the day is long - they've gotten plenty of scurs and extra white and even a rat tailed grey calf out of their registered Angus matings.

DLD said:
RundelLivestock said:
Cabanha Santa Isabel you are extremely misinformed. I can tell you I've done my share of torching and clipping Angus bulls along with going to a number bull sales and I have yet to come across in the past couple of years that have had horns or markings.  I don't know what's going on where you're from but it isn't certainly not going on in this neck of the woods.  The only way I can see what you see happening is if someone isn't being truthfully honest with the buyer so it don't think its the breed its a lack of character for the producer.

No offense, but of course you don't see the horned/scurred ones or the ones with extra white.  They don't go through the registered bull sales, they go through a sale barn (probably some distance from home, and/or under a name other than the one that breeder markets their purebreds in) right after weaning.  I'm not saying every breeder gets a big percentage of them every time, but they do happen - to every breeder sooner or later.  Spend some time in the sale barns and you'll see 'em.  I'm not criticizing or condemning anyone, but if you believe every animal out there with a set of Angus papers (or Hereford or anything else) is 100% pure just because those papers say so, you're being very naïve.  I have friends in the Angus business that are as honest as the day is long - they've gotten plenty of scurs and extra white and even a rat tailed grey calf out of their registered Angus matings.

No offense for a good level discussion.
These white marked are not saw on sales. are saw on farm, produced by imported ET  embryos generally.
Of course that breed society technical staff cut off these kind animals, but they are appearing more frequently.

No, I'm not a scientist, but I have my eyes open for what occur around the world and not follow someone only by follow something.
Yes maybe I can raise some goats, perhaps inside big elephraffas with black coat that are unable to survive outside a feedlot with hundred kilos of corn.
For a good discussion, respect is the minimum ask.
Maybe boys must to play videogames and not be on discussion chats.

ploughshare

As an AAA member, I see the whole argument or sales pitch as just that.. a sales pitch.  CAB is nothing more than a marketing strategy to get commercial guys to buy more Angus bulls.  As a micro breeder it does not effect me.  Understand that this is an ad campaign, promotion.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Keep your friends close and your enemies closer, but know your cattle partner best of all.

knabe

an example of a steak i would never buy.

says angus on it.

sad.

perhaps certified is better?

Attachments

• photo-12.JPG
    photo-12.JPG
    808.6 KB · Views: 466

comercialfarmer

knabe said:
an example of a steak i would never buy.

says angus on it.

sad.

perhaps certified is better?

That looks like most steaks in the super market and steak house now.  There is an increase in quality cuts being exported due to a weakened dollar. 
I want to support beef, but honestly I rarely order a steak anymore when we go out.  The value just isn't there.  Would rather grill one at home that has some flavor and marbling. 

RyanChandler

Step up your game and go to a quality steakhouse then. Your not gonna find a choice ribeye prepared and served to you for 15 bucks.

knabe

-XBAR- said:
Step up your game and go to a quality steakhouse then. Your not gonna find a choice ribeye prepared and served to you for 15 bucks.

doubtful.  i live in california.  a choice ribeye is about 25 if not more, prime, close to 50.

if you want a ribeye for $15, it's going to be really thin and probably not choice.

RyanChandler

knabe said:
-XBAR- said:

doubtful.  i live in california.  a choice ribeye is about 25 if not more, prime, close to 50.

if you want a ribeye for $15, it's going to be really thin and probably not choice.

I agree. My point was that you pictured a $10 steak and then commented on the quality as if that wasn't to be expected.

knabe

My point is that the bar is really low for other breeds to make a similar or better product. Someone will buy that steak and be disappointed.

comercialfarmer

-XBAR- said:

If you haven't noticed a decline in the quality of steak in the past 3-5 years, you aren't in touch with product.  It is sad that it is an unnecessary reason that an increased volume of our quality meat is being exported to other countries for their enjoyment and not our own.  

I do like that you provide me plenty of reminder of why I enjoy Ft Worth so much more than Dallas.  In Ft Worth, you can spend some time wondering if someone is wealthy or not.  In Dallas, like you, they just can't help but show all their cards right away.  

Limiman12

90% or more of the consumers don't want to see marbling in a steak they buy........  I sure don't want to see globs of fat in a steak I buy at a restaurant,    But the local estuarine I go to advertises CAB....  An I routinely am trimming the steak I buy.

HAB

Limiman12 said:
90% or more of the consumers don't want to see marbling in a steak they buy........   I sure don't want to see globs of fat in a steak I buy at a restaurant,    But the local estuarine I go to advertises CAB....   An I routinely am trimming the steak I buy.

Marbling and slab fat are not the same thing.  The grissly chewy crap is backfat and slab fat.  Uneducated consumers that think marbling (fat) is bad is what was created buy the Lean meat craze when the continental cattle came over.

Marbling is good for you, trim fat is not.

BTDT

You can not blame the "continental cattle" for the lack of marbling and tenderness.  Limousins, piedmontese are known for their fine muscle fibers, which  create more tender meat than any "marbled" meat.  With fine muscles fibers, their meat is more tender and does not require the fat to "tenderize" the meat.
The lack of marbling in American breeds could be related to the high quantity of DDG's. or could be because of genetics. Without marbling, American breeds are not tender.

You are correct that most consumers are uneducated. You are also correct when you say our prime foods are being shipped overseas. People overseas do not mind paying for premium food, whereas here in the states, all people care about is "cheap".