new asa secretary

Help Support Steer Planet:

tucker

sears spent several years working for dieter bro. ranch in s.d. ,he headed up the comm. bull program, i believe they marketed close to 800 bulls some private treaty sales and some in a large spring sale.he worked strongly with the chi assoc. to build up a credible performence data base and e.p.d. program. he worked with the asa before that.he does love shorthorn cattle and would bring a wealth of experence and a very steady hand to a  breed that desperately needs a long term leader with a proven past.

itk

jnm said:
"I also challenge the members to address any concerns they have by talking individually with board members with an eye on mutually solving problems"

I agree with the above. However I have a problem. Twice over the last 2-3 years  I have emailed a letter expressing a concern of mine to the entire board. I did not receive a response from anyone. A few months ago I sent an email to the President and V-president about a different matter.  One of their mail boxes was full and wouldn't accept the message and the other didn't respond. The last secretary didn't respond to an email either and I only got an answer to that question when a month later I faxed a copy of the email to the office and Qwen called. The secretary never did respond. I just chalk it up to the fact I'm small potatoes (about 80 registered shorthorns) but it would be nice to know that somebody at least pretends to care.

I would say 80 cows is a pretty large herd considering the average breeder only has 8 shorthorn cows. Also look at the century club members every year (breeders with over 100 cows) and there is usually only a handfull of them and most barely have over 100 cows. Sometimes your importance has more to do with the size of you bank account then your cattle operation.

Jill

Sorry to say that's how it works in every breed, Shorthorn's don't have an exclusive on that.

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

Who ever they hire is only going to be their for about 3 to 5 months and then be right on their way.

aj

Will it be announced at the annual meeting? A thought just occured to me....are their any delegates that are not showring orientated? I know there are but....I think this is a factor in direction of the organization. Not saying it is good or bad nessecarily....it is a fact....it is probably like that in all breeds.

loveRedcows

I'm a relatively new member of ASA.  Our Shorthorn herd consists of only 2 registered females and we have a handful of Durham Reds.  During the past year everytime I have called the association with a question about registration, etc. I have been impressed with their patience and cooperation.  Having dealt with the Red Angus assn for over 20 years I have seen a lot of changes with its growth.  The folks I deal with there, the ones in the trenches, have always excelled in customer service.  However with the growth of the personnel levels has come increases in fees and often we are left with the feeling that the "little guy" is not nearly important as the "top dogs" with their 2-page color ads, etc.  I am still reserving opinion on the new Secretary (he surely can't be as blind as the last one).  Hopefully the ASA will continue to value ALL of its members and continue to encourage new additions.

Chris Bingham

I have been a member of the Shorthorn Association for the past 3 years. I have a small herd (15 head) and they always seem to be prompt with answering my questions. Anytime I have called or emailed I have always got treated as if I was an asset to the breed. I applaud the board and the all the workers at the Shorthorn Association.

aj

sj fill me in pm! I am thinking that our Todd from Kansas would make a good national director.

shortdawg

I got a letter as well. I talked to him yesterday to get his thoughts. He said he just wanted to get people thinking about the current situation with hopes something would be done to improve it soon. I guess in a nutshell action is what he wanted most.