New Australian Angus record

Help Support Steer Planet:

thunderdownunder

An Angus bull has just smashed the national record by selling for $110,000 at KO Angus in Kangaloon, NSW.
The bull, KO Aberdeen G31 (AI), made a whopping $110,000 – yes $110,000 – selling to Gilmandyke Angus stud at Orange.
The 18-month-old bull is by US sire TC Aberdeen 759 and the first calf of KO Vicky D93 from KO’s famed Vicky cow family.
It follows the sale of a bull for $65,000 at Booroomooka Angus at Bingara last Friday which set a new top for NSW and was the highest priced Angus to have been sold at auction Australia-wide this year.
The previous national record was $91,000 for Te Mania Emperor set in March last year.

Attachments

• KO Aberdeen G31.jpg
    KO Aberdeen G31.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 195

knabe

is he another marker bull?  seems a little piecy made to me, not level backed enough, face doesn't look male enough and crest kinda minimal.  he's clipped so you can't see what his hair looks like.  he's thicker than the last bull.

JSchroeder

Do people in Australia pay attention to these prices or is it like here where that group of big Angus ranches took it too far with the 'record price' auctions and nobody believes any of it any more.

JimF

It might be a different market down there and more grass oriented but to me I am kind of like the other posters, just another fat little bull without much thickness.  What would they pay for an average SAV or Connealy Angus bull?  Now please don't tell me about what his EPDs are as I have seen enough bulls in the U.S. that visually and pounds on the scales don't match what the inflated EPDs are.

ruhtram

JimF said:
It might be a different market down there and more grass oriented but to me I am kind of like the other posters, just another fat little bull without much thickness.  What would they pay for an average SAV or Connealy Angus bull?  Now please don't tell me about what his EPDs are as I have seen enough bulls in the U.S. that visually and pounds on the scales don't match what the inflated EPDs are.

Good point

Aussie

Jeff_Schroeder said:
Do people in Australia pay attention to these prices or is it like here where that group of big Angus ranches took it too far with the 'record price' auctions and nobody believes any of it any more.
Jeff it is spring bull sale season at the moment with hundreds of black bulls being sold for a sale average of about $6500 along way from what this bull made. ;) Congrats to Tim Lord who has done alot to push the profile of KO since he started as manager there.
EBV link remember our EBV are different to your EPD
http://abri.une.edu.au/online/cgi-bin/i4.dll?1=22342A3D&2=242D&3=56&5=2B3C2B3C3A&6=5D5A5A272527252024

JSchroeder

Auesie, same thing happens here.  One bull that could be called the best of the group sells for a ton and the rest are reasonably priced.  It's become such a blatant marketing ploy that people don't even pay attention to them.

What specifically makes that bull worth 15 of the others?