New Born Problems

Help Support Steer Planet:

LFFASHOWER

Had a calf that was a couple of days over due. the calf was a hard pull then got hip locked for 15 minutes. calf had problems getting up when it was first born but now can get up. it now is walking like  a new born. stumbling over its self. im assuming it had something to do with being hip locked. is there anything i can do to help heal this? the calf is a couple of days old and is getting better

OH Breeder

unfortunately with some stressful deliveries they can have tissue trauma for a few days. It just takes time. believe it or not there may be some swelling etc. Image how you feel when you work out hard and have sore muscles. Same thing. They just need time. I would keep an eye on the calf make sure it doesn't develop further problems but it sounds like delivery trauma to me.

LFFASHOWER

It has all kinds of energy. It can get up by itself and eats just fine. It was running around in the pen today. The back legs now out quite a bit though still gets around like a new born.

leanbeef

That's because he IS a newborn... Give him a little time. If he can get around and he's nursing, and as long as mama is taking care of him, that's all he needs right now.

obie105

I had a large calf and the cow had her on her own in under 30 min but she walked a lil funny on her rear legs for close to a couple of weeks. Her hock even popped out to the side. We gave her some selenium. At a month old now you cant even tell. A few people said that since she was bigger she might have been laying funny inside the cow. Give it time it will probably come out of it.