New calf issues

Help Support Steer Planet:

ShowmanQ

Had a heifer calf last night out of a first calf heifer, and I have 2 issues.

1) The calf seems to slightly bow legged on her hind 2. Question is, do you think that could be from the her hip being so much larger than what would be expected out of a calf her age? She doesnt seem to be having any real trouble getting around, but still has sea legs. Just curious as to if anyone has had this issue?

2) Same calf. Cow (first calf heifer) did a great job getting the baby cleaned off and taken care of. Calf nursed and got colostrum, but today the cow doesnt seem to want the calf to nurse. The momma is still keeping an eye on her and being protective, but she gets kind of kicky when baby tries to nurse. Any suggestions?

Thanks

savaged

Would not worry about the legs - they will likely straighten-out within the next couple of weeks (probably weak joints, especially if the calf is larger boned).

I'd be prepared with a drencher and some good quality milk replacer in case you need to supplement until the heifer settles down.

Davis Shorthorns

we had a heifer calf that was kinda large, and she looked kinda like her legs bowed out, after a month or so they straightened out and we haven't had a problem since then. 

ShowmanQ

Thanks for th input! The calf has larger bone than i had expected, so I am assuming that is the issue with her legs, not worrying about it anymore, since I have heard from so many that the joints could just be weak from larger bone.

Doc, I think you hit the nail on the head, the cow is now letting her calf nurse, very slowly but surely. Still have some good milk replacer on hand in case, and I supplemented her with some colostrum supplement just to be safe.
Thanks guys (clapping)

OH Breeder

ShowmanQ said:
Thanks for th input! The calf has larger bone than i had expected, so I am assuming that is the issue with her legs, not worrying about it anymore, since I have heard from so many that the joints could just be weak from larger bone.

Doc, I think you hit the nail on the head, the cow is now letting her calf nurse, very slowly but surely. Still have some good milk replacer on hand in case, and I supplemented her with some colostrum supplement just to be safe.
Thanks guys (clapping)

We have had this with two heifers. We put them on halter and stood with the calf. If the heifers continue to kick you can tie the leg and till she gets use to it. Takes them sometime.