New catalogues

Help Support Steer Planet:

Joe Boy

Loved both the Hartman and Western Collecion pictures of beautiful cattle.

Like the way Harman listed the information...... Thought The Western Collection could have been better since they only showed one cow listed as being PHAF and THF.  They still had some really beautiful cattle photos.....

Show Heifer

I got that catalog yesterday and studied it pretty well. And yes, only 2 animals were listed as PHA & TH free, both Irish Whiskey cattle. So the only logical conclusioin that I can draw is everything else is a carrier.  Simple as that.

DL

Also interesting that (if I read it correctly) there were NO THC heifers and only 3 PHAC heifers in the Hartman sale....hmmm
Haven;t seen the Western Collection

knabe

the hartman sale, i believe, is his customer appreciation sale.  before, i didn't have an appreciation for it.  i think it is basically him visiting various ranches that have either purchased from him, used semen from his bulls and other places, to be purchased through a sale he promotes.  i could be wrong, but ii didn't see one animal listed that he owns.  he said he visited 237 ranches i believe.  i wish i could do that.  this would be one way that so many carrier genetics could be sifted.  probably even more of a disappearing act than phac's, are the black and white cattle.  i would love to see the % of phac kept vs b/w at all ranches, not just the ones who are looking to the future with what those genetics bring to the table, and i don't mean the b/w ali's.

justme

yes, he does visit people that has done business with him.  I wish I could afford a calf for my daughter at his sale (lol)  I'd probably pee my pants if he showed up here and said I want "this" one.

Whatever he does he does it right....look at the prices he gets for his customers...

shorthorns r us

lots of money shows up at sales that have so many opportunities to get a good one.  ie.  if you have $20k to spend, you can go to one sale and get your good one.  an alternative is burning up the highway going to 10 - 15  sales and getting the same quality for $15k ... after spending $7k looking.  who is better off?  let him drive and look.

Telos

SRU said:
lots of money shows up at sales that have so many opportunities to get a good one.  ie.  if you have $20k to spend, you can go to one sale and get your good one.  an alternative is burning up the highway going to 10 - 15  sales and getting the same quality for $15k ... after spending $7k looking.  who is better off?  let him drive and look.

I'll say a BIG AMEN to that statement!
Always enjoy Hartman's catalogues. There is always some great heifer prospects, but this year, take a hard look at the bull he is selling. He looks to be an extra special one IMO. Saw his sire, HAA Finish Line, down in the yards at Denver a few years ago and thought he was one of the widest topped and best hipped bulls I've seen to date. I predict we will be hearing more of him in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if Lautner finds this one, too.

Telos

I forgot to ask... What is everyones top picks in Hartman's sale heifers?
One of mine would probably be the lot 38 heifer. She really took a great picture IMO, but have not studies the whole catalogue.

Joe Boy

All of them could come to my place....

15, 24, and 34 stood out to me.... but I loved them all and especially the bull.

Telos

Joe Boy, I like all of them too. Maybe some day we can have descendant relatives roaming our pastures.

knabe

i liked the PHAF/THF irish whiskey heifer, can't remember which number.  thought she stood out for spring of rib, internal dimension, and carried from front to back..

Joe Boy

knabe, probably #33 and she is tough....

Telos, that would be real nice. 

Did you notice how many of them go back to Polled Energizer???  He just might be the bull that has made the largest mark on the Maine-Anjou breed.  I know he is in recent years.  I have used three bulls that go back to him, Nike, Ali, and 258127.  In a couple of weeks I will be using mostly Ali, Hard Core and Ele Ransom.  We will use Nike on some, and Icy Hot on some.  I have an excellent 3/4 bull calf out of Nike that we just weaned.  He has some white on his right rear side up to the top.  He would make a good bull if not for the white.  I like the heifers from Nike and Icy Hot.  I got all bulls from Ali last year and am keeping a 3/4 and 1/2 blood to use as clean up bulls on heifers.  They are too young this year since they were just weaned and I will use them to let me know who is in heat.....too short to service the cows and hopefully too young to be fertile for the heifers...They are just turning 7 months old.

Joe Boy

Did anyone get "The Exposure X" catalogue today?  WOW! some really great looking heifers.

DL

Joe Boy said:
Did anyone get "The Exposure X" catalogue today?  WOW! some really great looking heifers.

Impressive catalog as usual - you can download the catalog from Christy Collins web site - even with land line! ;D

Jill

Have any of you purchased show hiefers out of the Exposure sale, wondering how they end up as cows.  Thanks

knabe

here's a link to the catalog

http://www.collinscattleservices.com/Exposure/Exp_07_Book/Exp_07_Book.html

my biases are lots

not familiar enough with the simm influence.

DLD

Jill, it may not mean much now, but I bought a couple out of the very first Exposure. They were both Warpath daughters from K-Bar, and even though one was a pictured lot, I got them at a very modest price (even for then). Both of them have been very efficient, productive cows - easy keeping, good milking, bred back quick every time. Neither of them have ever raised a show calf for us, but we've kept daughters of both of them, and they have. I do have some friends that have more recent purchases from there, and they're all pretty well pleased with them.

Both the Collins and Griswolds are "cow people" for generations - succesful ones, too. These females will be sound, functional and efficient. They won't be cheap (I know you know that), but if you're still interested, I think you'll find it worth the trip.

Jill

Thank you, I really haven't ever heard anything good or bad so was just curious.  We have wanted to go for several years and just haven't made it, I think we are going to make the trip this year.

Telos

Jill...I plan on going to Stillwater. I go to the Exposure just about every year. Maybe we could meet and discuss cattle. Tell me if you are going. There are some good buys sometimes. I just wish they would hurry up and post the TH and PHA results. It would be easier to make selections.

Jill

We have a hotel room booked, I also wish they would post those so I could eliminate the ones I don't want, that would maybe narrow it down some.  I think we are going to come in on Friday so the boys can do the judging, we'll see how early we get gone.