new dog

Help Support Steer Planet:

pigguy

Well im trying to decide on a new dog. I already have an aussi shepard x red heeler and an aussi sheperad x bordercollie. I am looking at a german longhair x britney she is 80$ and im also thinking of a corgi.

We have no little kids, we have about 1000 head of cattle, like to hunt dove, quail, and pheasant, we also have pigs. mainly have cattle in pasture. But not really looking for a cowdog but if he could be one then greta, also needs to be able to stay calm around cattle since we have show cattle. what do you think would be best

by the way the lil pup im looking at is a female like all the other we have, is kinda short and stocky, has long hair, his body is dark red, with kinda wavy hair, and then his legs are dark white with red speckels(like a red roan) kust for a mental pictuer
here is a german longhair
DSCN0441.jpg

and here is a britney

murphy.gif

justme

I'd go Corgi...they are so smart and will stick around.  The hunting breeds tend to wander in my opinion and experiences.  I have one if your interested.

Attachments

• BIlly Ray .jpg
    BIlly Ray .jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 474

xxcc

Corgi's are cool (as long as the mud doesn't get very deep where you're at).  I personally vote for a catahoula.  The red heeler that I have is also a very good dog.  He came from Timberline Reds, Broadview, MT.  I also had a Blue Heeler x Aussie x Border Collie that was maybe one of the best cattle dogs I'd ever seen. The only problem was that he was a one man dog...only one man.

renegade

I love blue heelers. They are as xxcc stated a one person/one family dog. They will protect and love the whole family but will usually pick one person they like the best. heelers (at least in the experiences we've had with our pups) have very good herding instincts that you just build onto... to train them to your commands. We sold two pups to a family with a huge ranch and they said that after three times working their cattle the pups were as good as the older dogs. It makes it nice when they do have an experienced dog to model after too. They are fun, loyal and very energetic and will listen to everything you ask them to do and they will put everything they have into it.

knabe

if you like pointers,

an old boss had one of these that was awesome

http://www.dogbiz.com/dogs-grp1/pointer-german-wh/germ-wh.htm

these are also nice all around dogs

http://www.dogbiz.com/dogs-grp1/vizsla/vizsla.htm
extremely expressive

ditto on the catahoula.  they are extremely popular out here for pig dogs.  a former neighbor, a professional pig tracker/killer for the government use them to cross on pit bull terriers, not that you'd want to go that direction.  now he's studying genetic diversity for a Ph. D. in the feral pig population.  he hunted the feral pigs out of pinnacles national monument, which has a pig fence around the entire periphery in very short order.

Latest posts