new edition, bc raven

Help Support Steer Planet:

mp

What are everyones new edition and raven calves like. How are the birthwieghts? What kind of cows will they work best on?

Thornberry

I have had several Raven and New Edition calves and more to come yet.  All born unassisted and in the 80# range which is light for our calves.  The cows are fed corn silage year round and carry lots of condition.  I used Raven on all of the saugahatchee cows and New Edition was used on anything that has too much height.  The New Edition are jet black and look like peas in a pod I am concerned they may not have much hair.  At this point the Ravens are very wide for their age (2-3 months) very hard (straight) tops and lots of hair.  I would like to see a little more depth to them but they are still very young to tell.  I like both enough that I  am useing both bulls again this year.  I will have pictures in a couple of weeks.  Any other questions just ask away.

Cowgurl101

Thornberry said:
I have had several Raven and New Edition calves and more to come yet.  All born unassisted and in the 80# range which is light for our calves.  The cows are fed corn silage year round and carry lots of condition.   I used Raven on all of the saugahatchee cows and New Edition was used on anything that has too much height.  The New Edition are jet black and look like peas in a pod I am concerned they may not have much hair.  At this point the Ravens are very wide for their age (2-3 months) very hard (straight) tops and lots of hair.  I would like to see a little more depth to them but they are still very young to tell.  I like both enough that I  am useing both bulls again this year.  I will have pictures in a couple of weeks.  Any other questions just ask away.
[/quote
Im thinking about using raven on my finer muscled females to add a bigger top and hind quarter. did he add this to your cows? what type of cows did you put him on?  what is he like as far as height on his calves?
Do you have any other sire groups you could tell us about? THANKS!!!
          Sarah

Thornberry

Sarah-the Saugahatchee cows that have Raven calves are real stout cows lots of muscle depth and bone. At this time I don't think the calves will be any less than their mothers.  I certainly like their attitudes very calm calves.  I also have several ET Outlook calves from a flush on a saugahatchee cow.  At this time I like the New Edition calves better.  I also flushed a OO4  X Saugahatchee to Cowboy Troy (angus) lots of width and muscle just a little too much frame height for me.  Last year I used Lut E102 on the saugahatchee's  and with any Northern Improvement  son or grandson you need to use on a small thicker made cow they can get rather tall.  Thanks for asking. Jim

mp

I am breeding for clubbies, the cows I was thinking of using one of these two on are:

1. A JFK cow- Bigger framed, rope necked, heavy muscled, needs more guts, and she usually has a BIG calf.

2. Two friction cows, both are out of the JFK cow, one will calve for the first time this summer and the other will calve for the second time this summer. Both are pretty much mirror images of their mother.

Which bull would work best, or should I consider something else?

Cowgurl101

Thanks for the detailed reply thornberry i appreciate it.  im glad your calves are looking good - too bad my cows arent full of volume and muscle like yours!! I guess im not sure if raven would be a 'cow changer' or not - ya never know!!