New Genex Angus bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

stick

Got the fall magazine from Genex yesterday. For those who have seen it, what do you think of the 3 Angus and 1 Red Angus from Scotland?

stick

Here's a link that will take you to the magazine:
http://genex.crinet.com/publication36/BeefHORIZONS

The article is called: Going Back to Where it all Began  then has 2 pages on the bulls

Cowgurl101

I like them alot! Im not sure how epds would work - i didnt see any on them. I dont place alot of emphasis on epds but am still curious. I would love to try one on a couple of my cows and see how they turn out. Gotta love the look of them and their dams.

Bawndoh

Cowgurl101 said:
I like them alot! Im not sure how epds would work - i didnt see any on them. I dont place alot of emphasis on epds but am still curious. I would love to try one on a couple of my cows and see how they turn out. Gotta love the look of them and their dams.

I am a Genex employee so I have the inside scoop on these bulls! (wink).  They do not have any EPD data in Scottland.  They do, however, have ACTUAL weight information.  I do have the numbers available, if anybody wants to see them.  These bulls will not have EPD'S for about another year and a half after they have some calves on the ground.  These bulls are out of the widest-based cows out bull inquirer has ever seen.  There is a photo in the Horizon that shows a walking path of the cows.  You may not notise it because it looks like quad tracks.  The mama cows in Scotland are so wide based that they have SPACE between their tracks, not just one track like our North American cows!!  I believe these bulls will work VERY well with clubby genetics.  They are VERY feed efficient, all their cattle are finished on grass.  They live and grow on forage based diets year round.  These bulls should add a huge maternal punch to your cows, improve udders, feet, legs, and FEED EFFICIENCY.  I really believe that these bulls could prove an interesting cross with clubby bulls that are not overly maternal......EI. Heatwave!  They should add overall mass, keep the width of base, and maternalize your clubby herd without taking away that clubby look! 

Does that help some??

stick

How do you think the RA would cross on Shorthorns for the Durham Red program?

Bawndoh

I honestly dont know anything about the Durham Red "program".  Perhaps someone could inform me as I have been wondering about this for quite some time.  I think these bulls would work on any breed of cow...who needs improvement in the areas in which I think the bulls excel.

shortyjock89

They look like they are truly thick bulls, something that the Angus breed has been lacking here in North America, the US specifically.  I think that the RA bull would work very well on some of the tall, lanky cows that so many people thought were what we needed, and will thicken them up, bring them down a FS or so, and make them more sound, all while sacrificing little to no "look".  No bull is perfect though, and we'll know more once more calves are born in America and Canada, but these bulls sure have a lot of good things going for them.  I love looking at cattle from around the world, and I would like to see more of these Scottish and Irish cattle.