New Heifer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

sizzler14

nice market heifer. i hope for your sake her momma is very maternial. very few heat waves make great cows

Diamond

Neat looking heifer, but I would have to agree I wouldn't own a female out of HW unless I was flushing her or using her for beef, they just don't milk.

OH Breeder

Diamond said:
Neat looking heifer, but I would have to agree I wouldn't own a female out of HW unless I was flushing her or using her for beef, they just don't milk.

Everyone says that, but I had a few and I have never had an issue. The first calf heifer we had this year was a super mother and had a great udder and is milking great. She did not have any issues having calf and has a ton of room internally and is not narrow in her make up at all. This heifer was out of a Mossy Oak x Chi cow. So she wasn't exactly bred to be super maternal but has done pretty well.
Heat Wave went back to some good shorthorns if I remember through Heat Seeker.If you dig back there is Sutherland, Green Ridge and so on in the shorthorn grandma to Heat Wave.  Unless his Maine momma Terry was bad we haven't had that experience with Heat wave females. I would say its more important what you put Heat wave on to get that female.

sizzler14

There is one in every crowd. the only reason monopoly females are making cows is because he has a ton of angus in him. like i said there is one in every crowd. unfortunately, one in 1500 is a big crowd (example). usually 99% of breeders  (dog) when they see heat wave heifers. thats why i said i realllllllllly hope she works out for you and i s a great cow

thats funny

Monopoly's are making nice cows??? I highly doubt that, where have you seen or heard of any monopoly cows at?  With all the sales out there, and now that Mono has been used for a multiple years, you dont ever see any being out of Monopoly cows.  There are 50 times more Heat Wave daughters that are making cows out there than there are monos.  We had 2 mono heifer calves and one bred, the bred had her calf and couldnt hardly feed a mouse, and that calf was indeed angus, and that mono was out of one of our heaviest milking cows.  Do I even have to say that after that ordeal we loaded the 2 calves up and took them to the sales barn?  But anyways, good luck with that Heat Wave heifer, im just gonna say good thing she isn't a Monopoly, or you would be ten steps behind.

ruhtram

Nice looking heifer, She should be a powerhouse in the showering!!

chambero

thats funny said:
Monopoly's are making nice cows??? I highly doubt that, where have you seen or heard of any monopoly cows at?  With all the sales out there, and now that Mono has been used for a multiple years, you dont ever see any being out of Monopoly cows.  There are 50 times more Heat Wave daughters that are making cows out there than there are monos.  We had 2 mono heifer calves and one bred, the bred had her calf and couldnt hardly feed a mouse, and that calf was indeed angus, and that mono was out of one of our heaviest milking cows.  Do I even have to say that after that ordeal we loaded the 2 calves up and took them to the sales barn?  But anyways, good luck with that Heat Wave heifer, im just gonna say good thing she isn't a Monopoly, or you would be ten steps behind.

I calved out five Monopoly heifers this fall and everyone of them are doing just fine as mommas.  Out of a group of 50 heifers we raised and kept as replacements, we had 100% of our Monopoly's stick to to AI in an overall disastrous year for AI conception.  Only one required an assist (an easy pull).  I have zero complaints with them so far.

I hear of plenty of Monopoly females raising good calves, but these were our first to calve out.  You just have to know what to use on them.

It takes a while for a cow to reach her prime production years - when you really learn what what works on a particular set of female genetics.  They don't have their first calf till two, you better take it easy on them for their second calf (especially a clubby one), and then you can really get started for their third calf, which they'll have when they are four.  Monopoly himself was born six years ago (2006).  There have only been about four years of calves, really only three where he was heavily used.  So his very first daughters are just now having calves out of the right kinds of bulls.

Diamond

Err I have a couple monopoly females that calved out this past spring as heifer with plenty of milk, and a nice udder.

vet tech

I have seen plenty of Monopoly females too. Mated with i80 I have seen some nice show heifers.

J2F

I don't think the clubby industry is known for culling heavily for material traits ??? IMO It all depends on what cow's you put them on. It seem's most of these club calf's are sold by the time they are 4 months old and been on feed for 3 and 2/3 of them. ;D Don't think they really care how they milk, shoot you would think some of them don't even care if  the mom dies in birth as long as they get that good calf.  :eek: You got to find something negative to say about HW or the whole industry will start to revolve around him.LOL (clapping)

ejoe326

Nice heifer.  What is the cow?

We have HWs and Monopolys and they did not make a trip to town because because they breed on time, calve without train wrecks, and milk. 

Common sense and wise management make good cattlemen.  I don't remember meeting a good cattleman that makes sweeping generalizations.

wyatt

say what you want about clubbies but some pure breds are just as bad or worse! seen a pb sooner heifer that didnt milk a drop and killed her calf

J2F

WB ShowCattle said:
say what you want about clubbies but some pure breeds are just as bad or worse! seen a pb sooner heifer that didnt milk a drop and killed her calf
Agree. all breeds and species. if some one could get a chicken to lay a one pound egg and win a show but loose a chicken someone would do it.

DLD

Calved out 3 Monopoly heifers here this fall.  Bred to a lbw Duff Angus bull, 2 calved unassissted, 1 we helped (no mechanical assisstance).  All 3 are milking just fine for first calf heifers.  Yes, they're out of good milking cows, but no matter what they're sired by we only keep heifers out of good milking cows.  Never raised a Heatwave heifer, so never kept one.  Had a couple of Full Throttle's that were great cows back in the day.

ChristaCheatham

I have a red monopoly heifer that I'm showing this year. Thinking about possibly breeding her to I80 but I'm not really confident if he's truly calving ease.... I want a live nice quality calf on the first one.

sizzler14

Ali or Northern Improvement/ both extremely proven and will give you a nice calf.

OH Breeder

ShowSteerGirl101 said:
I have a red monopoly heifer that I'm showing this year. Thinking about possibly breeding her to I80 but I'm not really confident if he's truly calving ease.... I want a live nice quality calf on the first one.

not to derail the thread....but....do you have any idea of the breeding behind the female. Mother history of birth weights etc? There are lots of options for calving ease bulls. Two mentioned I have used with success on heifers. I really really like northern improvement. They come small but have ton of grow in them and usually for an Angus have some hair. But I also like Gizmo even though he is more pricey. You can get some wild colored one's using Gizmo. OCC Legend is great for calving as well. There are alot of Shorthorn bulls I would use for calving ease. TG cattle's bull 329 or Captain Obvious work as calving ease alternatives. Some folks have used Total Solution for calving ease as well as Tiny Tim, Rocky Balboa and Jesse James.
I would for safety sake have your female examined for breeding soundness when you get closer to that time. They can evaluate her pelvic area give you an idea on calving. I have had heifers out of purebred genetics not be near as good as some of my clubbier bred heifers for pelvic area.