New Heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

CPL

renegade said:
Thanks! Thats what I was thinking but I wasnt sure. So basically it is $150 for the semen

It's 50 dollars for the semen straw, and then 9 months later if the calf is worth anything you have to pay another 100 to get it registered. You can buy the cert from the owners or Jim Reed usually has them on most bulls. They'll probably send it to the Association and then when you send in your papers it will already be on file. There is starting to be more bulls come out that are cert. free, but semen is usually a little higher on them. You're right  about semen actually being cheap. The fact that I can have a calf out of the 100k + dollar bull for less than 200 is pretty amazing.

Steered

As CPL said wait until the calf is born and is good enough to be registered before you but the cert.  Don't buy a cert for every straw.

renegade

I let the heifers out early yesterday after our rain storms to get a jump on cleaning the barn and decided to take some pics because i was bored- these are all pics of the same heifer. Let me know if you have any more opinions she still isnt clipped up and hadnt been blown out or brushed before i let her out lol

Attachments

• minnie.jpg
    minnie.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 244
  • minnie2.jpg
    minnie2.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 241
  • minnie3.jpg
    minnie3.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 243
  • minnie4.jpg
    minnie4.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 267

CAB

It would be $50/straw for the semen and then if you want to register the calf later, another $150. Most places only sell semen in 5 or 10 unit packages, but there are exceptions. The high cert. prices are what makes easier to sell syndications. Saying that if you buy into a syndication package, you usually would avoid a cert. fee. Brent
  BTW I like the heifer. It seems to me that she needs the most help in her rear quarter. I would possibly take a look @ Wide Angle, Wide Load, or Reload. I'm not up on Hereford, so I don't know how those bulls calve, but I have liked the calves that I have seen out of them.

renegade

I really like reload and couldnt find any pics of wide load. If anyone has any info on their calving ease

I decided I like relode but after looking at his pedigree I think there is too much remitall since this heifer has quite a bit of remitall too - I would like to add some more genetics