new Pa Do Boxer baby

Help Support Steer Planet:

Doc

Here is a Pa Do Boxer hfr. calf out my Dble. Vision x CF Roan Sue 1st calf heifer. The cow is 2 weeks shy of being 2 years old. The baby was born yesterday about noon unassisted(neighbors' wife called me on my cell to let me know) The momma is THF. The baby is polled & 76 lbs. Don Stout said he had been using Boxer the last 3 or 4 years on his heifers & decided to try him on 2 this year. Tickled that it's on the ground & alive with no problems, the hfr part is just icing on the cake.

itk

Stouts showed and have sold alot in Kansas and I have always liked their Boxer cattle the best. He has seemed to be making a bit of a come back in popularity in the past few years. Seeing your Roan Sue cow makes me wish we had our Roan Sue heifer back again. We only had her for about the first two weeks of her life before Verl bought her and named her Sue's Likeness.

Doc

itk said:
Stouts showed and have sold alot in Kansas and I have always liked their Boxer cattle the best. He has seemed to be making a bit of a come back in popularity in the past few years. Seeing your Roan Sue cow makes me wish we had our Roan Sue heifer back again. We only had her for about the first two weeks of her life before Verl bought her and named her Sue's Likeness.
JR Boswell(BP Shorthorns) in GA just ended up buying the partners out & owns all of her now.

garybob

Is She solid red, or, is she a dark Roan with only three white hairs on the inside of her tail?

Doc

garybob said:
Is She solid red, or, is she a dark Roan with only three white hairs on the inside of her tail?
She has a little white in front of her navel & on the tip of her tail.

Doc

frostback said:
You cant have a solid red calf out of a white cow. The calf has to be a roan.
Frostback, Don't mean to take issue with you but the calf standing in front of that solid white cow is solid RED except the white underneath & on her tail , not Roan. ;D

frostback

I know you are probably older that me and I was taught to respect my elders but its just in the genes and that white cow only has a co-dominant gene to give that calf there fore it is a roan. It only takes a few white hairs under the tail to make the calf a roan which is what you have. If you like I can try to explain it more. What colour was the bull?

NHR

I have heard this logic before about a white shorthorn cant have a solid red calf, but I proved them wrong when we had a solid red (no white at all) calf about 3 years ago out of a solid white cow. Go figure!

Doc

frostback said:
I know you are probably older that me and I was taught to respect my elders but its just in the genes and that white cow only has a co-dominant gene to give that calf there fore it is a roan. It only takes a few white hairs under the tail to make the calf a roan which is what you have. If you like I can try to explain it more. What colour was the bull?
I'm don't know if the calf has a few roan hairs under it's tail or not , but I can assure you right or wrong that calf would be registered as red or RWM on 99 % of the farms out there. Even if the whole tail was frosted & the rest of the body hairs were red, the majority of people would still register the calf as red. JMO.

frostback

Your opinion is fine but the wrong classification on calves is precisely why people think you cant predict the colour of shorthorns. I give up.

justintime

I have also had calves this color from white cows. Oftentimes, the calf will have a few white hairs in their tail , which "officially" makes them a roan genetically even though more people would call them red. When we displayed IDS Duke of Dublin at Denver, shortly after we inported him from Ireland, an old Shorthorn breeder stopped to look at him. Duke was a red bull with one white mark visible and it was just behind his shoulder. This breeder lifted his tail and on the back side of his tail, there was also a small white mark. He told me that Duke would sire white calves as he was really a roan bull. I was very skeptical as this bull was a deep cherry red other than the two small white marks. One month later, the first Duke calves were born...... and the third calf born was white, from a dark roan cow.
We also imported a white cow from Ireland and her first calf would be considered solid red by most anyone. He was sired by Deerpark Improver and he was solid red with only a very few white hairs in his tail.

justintime

By the way, I have always thought that Boxer may have been a bull that appeared on the scene before his time. He was moderate and thick made and probably was not appreciated fully for his good traits as he would be today. I have always liked the Boxer cattle I have seen. Doc, you may have lined up some pretty decent genetics here. You better get this baby into the spare bedroom!!

Doc

justintime said:
By the way, I have always thought that Boxer may have been a bull that appeared on the scene before his time. He was moderate and thick made and probably was not appreciated fully for his good traits as he would be today. I have always liked the Boxer cattle I have seen. Doc, you may have lined up some pretty decent genetics here. You better get this baby into the spare bedroom!!
Thanks JIT, I always thought Boxer was one of those bulls that truly deserved to be Nat'l Champ when picked. I think one reason he didn't get used as much was Don wanted $50/straw with a 10 straw min. My other hfr due to Boxer in April is a Irish Mist dtr out of a Deerpark  Leader dtr out of the orignal Scarlet O'Hare cow.