New Purchase...

Help Support Steer Planet:

Sparty-On

Looking for ideas.  I have a set amount of money I can spend this fall on a female.  I have young kids and am working towards building a small herd of my own.  So here's the question, do I spend the money on a heifer calf that has the type of breeding I am looking for, or buy a bred that will give me a calf right away and then breed her the way I want.  The hard part is I think the heifer calf I am currently interested in is a good buy, and I dont know what a bred heifer may cost this fall that is of the same quality.  Hopefully I made a little sense with this question.  Thanks.

angus214

We just went through the same thing! We bought a great heifer and will buy a mama next! It fit our program best. I feel it is kind of all in what you find for your money. Good luck

easttex

If you buy a breed cow then if the calf isnt something that fits your breeding program you may be able to sell the call and still buy a heifer calf that would fit your breeding program. Plus you would have a cow that you could breed the way you want, so you could possibly have 2 calves. Hope that makes sense  ???

farmboy

Your best bet is a bred. Your getting two animals for the price of one, cutting out feed costs too. You know she can breed as well. When she calves, if you like the calf, keep it. If not, stockyards then invest it back into you're herd then breed her to a bull you like.

nate53

I will agree with the above post about bred heifer's, ideally they would be the better choice.  However if you know of a heifer calf that is what you want  and she is in your price range with a breeding guarantee then I would probally go with the calf.  Your kids would probally be more interested in a calf than a bred heifer starting out.  Plus you really have to be careful with buying bred animals, ( disease, bred right as in calving okay, how were they fed and raised).  My personal experience has not been good buying bred females, however I have bought several heifer calves and raised them after weaning the way I wanted to and have been 100% on them.  But several people on here have probally had exactly the opposite experience? It's your money, your kids, your decision.  Good Luck

AAOK

First, be patient.  Look for a young bred cow, which was a former Show Heifer, with a winning show background, and has also produced one or two quality Show Calves.  To have a chance of finding a cow of this calibre, you will have to find a good breeder who you can trust.  Did I say be Patient?

Sparty-On

Thanks for all the replys so far.  I am, and have been, leaning towards buying a bred.  My big hang-up is wondering what kind of bred female I will be able to buy for the same money this fall.  I know I will have feed into a heifer calf this winter, but at least I know what she will be fed.  Beef market is strong right now, I have to believe cattle sales will be stong this fall as well.  Heifer calf can be bought out of pasture right now, before any traders get in there either.  Just for some background, I am looking for a half-blood simmi female.  Thanks again, keep em coming.

farmboy

Any female you buy you should also evaluate her mother as far as milk production goes. It sucks buying a knockout heifer who doesn't milk enough to raise a kitty cat. If the mother milks, the daughter should to, granted they didn't get the short end of the milk stick. Going for simmi you should be alright. You can get a great bred for the same price as a little heifer. Just do some shopping around.

rocknmranch

I would definitely buy bred. No ifs or ands. A heifer calf is going to have to wait to breed then the nine months for calving, 2.5 yrs. I have had great luck finding cows and heifers on craigslist, with great pedigrees, and some were ex show projects that kids just didnt want. Coming into winter, our during winter great buys can be had! This year especially with the lack of feed.

Good luck on yor search. I would wait it out, I bet with a bit of time, you can find 4 for the price of 2.

zak

All depends on what you have to spend. What your goals are to do with the female(what you want to produce). I just went through this recently and the decision I made has so far seemed to turn out really good. Let me know what you want to produce, (if you feel comfortable) give a price range, and if your kids would like to show. You can most likely get a better deal on a bred then a show heifer that is fat and hairy when you buy her.

Zak

Top Knot

I'm going to dissent from the majority and say go for the heifer calf. Especially if you've found one you like and she's priced right. You will save money up front. You can grow her out and control how much condition you let her put on. If you buy someone's old show heifer that got a fat as a sow, you're the one who has to live with a poor milking cow, a hard keeper, and potential calving problems. In my opinion you can get a better buy on a calf if you know what you're looking for and don't overlook some greener or unfit calves that show great potential.

savaged

IMO for the same money you can buy a better bred than spring  show heifer.  Unles you have a personal connection that is.  At reputal breeder autions you will pay a premium for that hairy show heifer.

Sparty-On

What if that spring heifer is currently out to pasture, and I need to let him know if I want her before Sept.  If I dont take her, she most likely will run through a Simm-Angus sale this winter in Iowa.  Dont have to worry about fluffy hair right now since she has shucked it all.  Thanks.

Warrior10

If you go the spring born show heifer route do not forget about the experience your kids could have hitting progress shows with her....

AAOK

AAOK said:

First, be patient.  Look for a young bred cow, which was a former Show Heifer, with a winning show background, and has also produced one or two quality Show Calves.  To have a chance of finding a cow of this calibre, you will have to find a good breeder who you can trust.  Did I say be Patient?

This will be your best investment.  Trust me.

zak

Aaok was correct on the best way to do it but that is the most expensive. Any cow that is 2-4 years old and is  doing reay well in a breeders program they won't want to sell unless a good premium is offered. The best economic way to go about buying a future breeding piece is look for a breeder who has a donor that is working really well for him and see what progeny he has that he has kept over or is selling in sale. If your buying a cow to build a herd around genetics are extremely important. Investing in a bred heifer that Is out of a very noteable dam like a frozen gold donor makes the offspring easier to market as well. If your looking to raise club calves you can't beat a sim angus cow as your foundation. They are by far the most fertile of any breed and majority a very maternal which is need if you plan to use heat wave or monopoly.

Zak

Bulldaddy

If you want to buy a really good bred cow, come to Texas.  If it doesn't start raining soon, the really good cows will start going to town.

Jill

Have to agree, if your kids aren't looking to show right now there is no decision to make, the only thing I would change is I would not buy a bred heifer, I would buy a bred cow.  I guess where I would do it a little different I would look for an older cow with a proven record or a recip carrying a guaranteed heifer calf, we have found some of our best cows were the recips we purchased, we could breed them up or put an embryo right back in them.  Unfortunately the drought in Texas is putting a lot of cattle on the market that normally wouldn't be, so the last poster may be correct, you may see a drop in bred prices pretty soon simply because of the numbers being sold.

Sparty-On

Any recommendations on where to start looking in Texas or who I should call?  I am quite a way away up north, so i would need somebody much closer to get me pointed in the right direction.  Thanks.