New Red Angus calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

HT

I am so excited to have my first red Angus calf on the ground!! He was born 12-5-09 and weighed 68lbs out of a first calf heifer, she had him in literally 5 minuets. He is out of a Paul's Cherry Bomb female and Red Dawg 5335. I am very excited about the pair and cant wait to show them, I hope they do well.

Attachments

• DSC02705.JPG
    DSC02705.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 266

HT

More pics

Attachments

• DSC02708.JPG
    DSC02708.JPG
    991.7 KB · Views: 251
  • DSC02710.JPG
    DSC02710.JPG
    926.8 KB · Views: 242

Torch

Don't you just love it when you don't have to pull a calf!

Nice calf and cow.  (clapping)

Cowboy

Nice little calf the HT, he ill be real nice for you. I do want to know something here though -- and plese understand I am not tying to tell you how to run your herd -- but listen to this -- it migh help you out later on.

That ear tag is BIG, square and heavy. That little ear is not strong enough yet to carry that weight around for very ong before it start to droop on you -- and could sometimes deform the ear for ever. I would personally take it back out at least until he gets a bit older. PLUS -- as small as that ear is -- when he wiggles his ear -- he will get that tag to start flopping around and before long, you will have a bruised or scared eye ball -- which will most certainly set you up for pink eye later on.

Again, I am just saying what I have noticed for many years -- we hardly ever even tag our calves at all until they are a couple weeks to a month old. Much stronger ear -- and lots less damage -- making sure the tag is not out on the ear too far -- it gets really heavy!

Good luck with your baby -- he's a cutie!

Terry

HT

Cowboy said:
Nice little calf the HT, he ill be real nice for you. I do want to know something here though -- and plese understand I am not tying to tell you how to run your herd -- but listen to this -- it migh help you out later on.

That ear tag is BIG, square and heavy. That little ear is not strong enough yet to carry that weight around for very ong before it start to droop on you -- and could sometimes deform the ear for ever. I would personally take it back out at least until he gets a bit older. PLUS -- as small as that ear is -- when he wiggles his ear -- he will get that tag to start flopping around and before long, you will have a bruised or scared eye ball -- which will most certainly set you up for pink eye later on.

Again, I am just saying what I have noticed for many years -- we hardly ever even tag our calves at all until they are a couple weeks to a month old. Much stronger ear -- and lots less damage -- making sure the tag is not out on the ear too far -- it gets really heavy!

Terry
Thanks, cowboy, I thought his ear was too small also and he was a tiny bit small for an ear tag, but the farm owner went ahead and put it in after he weighed him. I thought we should have waited a little longer also. Thanks for the comments, and I hope the calf does well!!
Thanks,
HT

dori36

Cowboy said:

Terry

I was thinking the same thing, Terry.  Although I have had good luck using calf tags even on my teeny little Lowline calves.  My choice are Ztags (Farnhan, now, I believe).  What a nice pair, btw!  And how cool that the heifer popped him out w/no problems!  68 lb birthweight is great.  Hope he now grows like a weed!

loveRedcows

Congratulations!  The arrival of our "little red rabbits" each spring is the most exciting thing.  We tag ours right after birth with really small tag so we can identify them then replace it with a large one at weaning.  Enjoy your little one and hope you have many more in the coming years.