New Rifle

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cowboy Up

I am looking at a new rifle. I need something that will have the range to shoot across pastures at the coyotes, bobcats, cougars that mess with the cattle, but I also need the medium-short range knock down power for deer. Basically, I need an all around gun that will take down big game at long ranges, and still have that power for the short and medium range shots.

These are the calibers I have been looking at.

.270 WSM
7mm WSM
30-30

I know there are some hunters on this board, but this is going to be my all around "Utility Gun" to defend my cattle and also hunt.

Thanks for the input.

shortyjock89

We have a .223 that stays in the Combine all harvest. It's awesome for shooting coyotes, and it would work for deer too.  It has a short Bull-Barrel on it, and I really like it.

DMAF

Those are all good choices of rifle calibers.  I would suggest the .270 wsm. It is a flat shooting cartridge and when matched with a high quality scope can take down any animal with good shot placement.  It is also not overkill on the coyotes and other small game.  I think that is your best bet.  Everyone has an opinion though and someone might recommend a different load.  If it was me the .270 is what I would spend my money on.

savaged

30-30 would be great for short range deer - not so good for across pasture plinking and coyote.  Eliminate this choice for good all around.

JbarL

25.06...would be  my fav for the knock down for deer and accuracy for varmits .....or 22 hornet....its hard to beat up to 150/75 yds for accuracy and not spookin' the cows ( plus its center fire for deer regs....if thats applicable ) it will kill deer.......and you wont blow the whole front side off either, but is  a bit wind sensitive...jbarl

klintdog

I use a 22-250 for deer and it's got more than enough power to knock down a coyote or whatever you're looking for.

6M Ranch

Of your choices, I would go with the 308.  Need to check your local laws, but in Colorado, you can't hunt deer with any of the .22 calibers.  30-30 is not a long range caliber, although the new loads from Hornady extend that range.  Availability of ammo would leave the WSM's off of my list.  .243 is a good all around caliber also, but a little light for anything over deer sized animals.

BIGTEX

I have a .243 that stays in my truck. I can kill a 300 lbs. hog or a house cat at 350 yds. A good all around gun.

Attachments

• Big Pig.JPG
    Big Pig.JPG
    251.4 KB · Views: 436

sawboss

I really like the .260 Remington caliber, shooting a 140 grain Nosler Partition bullet.  It allows for excellent down range shooting and has plenty of knock down for medium game.  The biggest asset is the lack of recoil, both of my sons have shot this caliber since they were 9 years old and have taken deer, hogs and varmits.

CJC

Cowboy Up said:
I am looking at a new rifle. I need something that will have the range to shoot across pastures at the coyotes, bobcats, cougars that mess with the cattle, but I also need the medium-short range knock down power for deer. Basically, I need an all around gun that will take down big game at long ranges, and still have that power for the short and medium range shots.

These are the calibers I have been looking at.

.270 WSM
7mm WSM
30-30

I know there are some hunters on this board, but this is going to be my all around "Utility Gun" to defend my cattle and also hunt.

Thanks for the input.
[/quote

cowboy up
any of those guns will do as long as you shoot them enough at different yardage to get a fell for the gun.

chambero

I own a 270 WSM that I absolutely love.  I've killed a gillion coyotes, several whitetails, and a 6x5 bull elk with it.

7mm WSM is falling out of favor.  The 270 and 300 WSMs are the two dominant ones.

Honestly, I'd get the 308 for an all-around gun.  Primary reason - you can buy all kinds of ammunition with different bullet weights and types.  For your knock around the pasture, you can buy much cheaper "plain" ammo.  If you want to head after something big, you can buy the high end ammo with bonded bullets.  It's got plenty of knockdown power for anything up to an elk.  308 rifles are also pretty short which is great for carrying around and using in the pickup or crawling up mountains.

I've seen too many deer run off with 243s.  Not enough margin for error.  30-30 shouldn't be a consideration.  The others have so many more advantages on range.

Davis Shorthorns

I would personally go with a 270 or even a 30-06, you can get small 150 grain loads or go up to 220 grain loads for the dangerous game like a mountain lion.  The 308 would also be a great choice especially for deer and long distance coyotes.  Stay away from the 30-30 if you have many shots over the 150yard mark.  Hope this helps.  Also the 7mm mag is a hard kicking son of a gun.  (no pun intended) :)

showman ne

i'd stay away from the short mags. the dimentions of the cartrige can cause the powder to burn uneavenly, making shot accuracy less consistant. the suggestions of 25-06 and .22-250 are where i would lean

ROAD WARRIOR

For an "all around" gun that will kill from tom cats to cougers - I would probably go with the 270. In my country I stay with the 243 but unless there is an escapee you won't find many elk or moose here. Love my Henry 45 long colt for a brush gun also.

GLC

Go with a .270 with 130 gr. I've taken pronghorn from 125 yds. to 400 yds. in Wyoming. Outfitter said for elk go with 150 gr. out to about 200 yds. With the 130 gr. use Winchester Power-Point-Plus or Fail Safe ammo. IMHO

sjcattleco

My pick is an AR style rifle in .308!!!!! Talk about AWESOME!!!  firepower.. military ammo.... target ammo.... easy to reload.... Great shooting gun.. low recoil... lighter weight....

JbarL

6M Ranch said:
Of your choices, I would go with the 308.  Need to check your local laws, but in Colorado, you can't hunt deer with any of the .22 calibers.  30-30 is not a long range caliber, although the new loads from Hornady extend that range.  Availability of ammo would leave the WSM's off of my list.  .243 is a good all around caliber also, but a little light for anything over deer sized animals.
west virgina defines its 22 type calibers as     )  center fire   or    )  rim fire         the hornet is center fire, and legal in wva...illegal in ohio for dear ( any center fire rifle caliber for that matter ???)...but any center fire is legal  for ground hogs and varments  in ohio ?? go figure.....not near the knock down power as the 06 and 250....but sure an accurate shooting gun .....a 135 yd hornet behind the ear leaves alot more meat than a 308 in the side from the same distance....was home first week in nov....deer have become a dangerous / distructive  nuience there...even the ones that died in a large scale gnat diease last year havent made a dent in this years population....amazing....jbarl

renegade

Wolves and the hard winter have made a big dent in most of our large game population and wolves have also killed a ton of sheep and several cattle - although they supposedly hardly attack livestock and havent made a change occur in game populations

Cowboy Up

Thanks for all the input guys. Still not sure what I'm gonna get. Heard some good things about the .308. How does the recoil of it compare to say a 12 GA. Shotgun?