New Rifle

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cowboy Up

Now, can you guys give me some insight on the best brands? I have a Remington scatter gun, and love it, so I was looking at them. What would you recommend? I would like a synthetic stock with stainless barrel.

yousesteers

I like the 270 I shoot a Ruger .270 for an all around gun will kill any thing i have shot at and drop a deer in its tracks if hit right I shot a 243 and it was great for coyotes and varmints but I got tired of tracking deer just not enough knock down just an opinion somebody else will have a different one we shoot deer form 20yards to a 1/4 of mile

shortdawg

I shoot a 308 and it is one of the most predictable calibers I've ever shot. A lot of trained snipers use 308's.

sjcattleco

What is your budget??? Like I said if I wanted an all around shooter I would buy a DPMS LR .308. flat top and put either a variable 6-24X on it or a 10X mil dot.

If I was going to buy a rifle to carry in the truck and shoot off the hood at whatever and I did not have to pack it around all the time I would buy the new Savage bolt action with the snythetic stock, heavy barrel,  fancy trigger,and bi-pod.  top it off with a good 6-24X Scope

If you wanted a rifle to pack around on the ATV, tractor, horse,  stuff like that and you can stand some recoil and don't plan to put more than 10 rounds at any one time through it  you can't go wrong with a plain jane sporter Remmington or Ruger. and decent 3-9X Scope.

chambero

I'm a Browning man, but Remington and Winchester both make great guns like you are looking for.  Remington's are lighter, Winchesters a little more rugged with a controlled-feed action.

If you want to spend a little more, Kimber makes a great lightweight, synthetic stainless rifle.  

Sakos are wonderful rifles also but a little pricier.

ShowmanQ

Call me old fashioned, but I am a fan of my Henry .22 lever action. I call it my cowboy gun <cowboy> (lol)

sawboss

ShowmanQ said:
Call me old fashioned, but I am a fan of my Henry .22 lever action. I call it my cowboy gun <cowboy> (lol)

I have the Henry Golden Boys, chambered in .22 LR, .22 Magnum and .44 Magnum very beautiful and smooth actioned.  I am a gun fanatic and own multiple brands and cailbers.  In the .308, I enjoy my Remington Model 7 Stainless/Synthetic.

clubcalve

Bigtime hunter here!!!!!!!!! I Love my 270 it is perfect for long range but it has some knock down power to. I have shot deer ,Coons and every thing in between. Hopes this helps. 

6M Ranch

JbarL said:
6M Ranch said:
Of your choices, I would go with the 308.  Need to check your local laws, but in Colorado, you can't hunt deer with any of the .22 calibers.  30-30 is not a long range caliber, although the new loads from Hornady extend that range.  Availability of ammo would leave the WSM's off of my list.  .243 is a good all around caliber also, but a little light for anything over deer sized animals.
west virgina defines its 22 type calibers as     )  center fire   or    )  rim fire         the hornet is center fire, and legal in wva...illegal in ohio for dear ( any center fire rifle caliber for that matter ???)...but any center fire is legal  for ground hogs and varments  in ohio ?? go figure.....not near the knock down power as the 06 and 250....but sure an accurate shooting gun .....a 135 yd hornet behind the ear leaves alot more meat than a 308 in the side from the same distance....was home first week in nov....deer have become a dangerous / distructive  nuience there...even the ones that died in a large scale gnat diease last year havent made a dent in this years population....amazing....jbarl

Colorado law on minimum caliber:
Rifles using center fire cartridges of .24 caliber or larger, having expanding bullets of at least seventy (70) grains in weight, except for elk and moose where the minimum bullet weight is eighty-five (85) grains, and with a rated impact energy one hundred (100) yards from the muzzle of at least one thousand (1000) foot pounds as determined by the manufacturer's rating providing that any semiautomatic rifle used shall not hold more than six (6) rounds in the magazine and chamber combined. A fully automatic rifle is prohibited.