New Show Heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

SKF

Here's some pics of my daughters new show heifer. She is a Dec. calf out of Stainless steal x Myer daughter. She has a wonderful temperment!! Does anyone have any Stainless Steal daughters if so how did they turn out?  What do you think?

Attachments

• show and new babies 10-19-08 030a.JPG
    show and new babies 10-19-08 030a.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 648
  • show and new babies 10-19-08 042a.JPG
    show and new babies 10-19-08 042a.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 718
  • show and new babies 10-19-08 045a.JPG
    show and new babies 10-19-08 045a.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 607

gocanes719

Getting her head shaped would be a great investment.  She looks clubby and a little masculine to me.  I really think she will be a better cow than show heifer.  She has quality, don't get me wrong she is just not the breeding heifer type to me.  She is totally different type wise to your white heifer.

simtal

I'd change her hip a little but other than that, shes pretty solid.  Her head is fine, it matches her body type really well. 

SKF

gocanes719 said:
Getting her head shaped would be a great investment.  She looks clubby and a little masculine to me.  I really think she will be a better cow than show heifer.  She has quality, don't get me wrong she is just not the breeding heifer type to me.   She is totally different type wise to your white heifer.

I am a little lost on getting her head shaped??  Yes she is more of a clubby type then our white heifer but usually around here the clubby type heifers show better. We bought her at a show this weekend and she took a 1st one day and a 2nd the next day. Both times in big classes. She is very sound on her feet.

OH Breeder

I think it will just depend on where you show her. I really like kadabara females. I always wanted to use stainless steel but didn't see alot of calves out of him.
I did have a vet do some cosmetic shaping of the polls on our show heifers. Make sure you use someone who knows what they are doing. If they get the poll to small it can really make their head look funny. It is worth the investment.
She looks like she make a great cow.

Bawndoh

This whole poll reshaping thing just gives me the willies....eww.  Anyhow...she looks like a great heifer.  Your daughter has a great investment, and a great future cow here.  I would not change a thing about her, and I immediately notised how sound she looked on her feet and legs.  I dont think her head/neck is too masculine.  It must be the angle of the photo.  We have a heifer like her, and when you get her on even ground, it is hard to get a bad photo of her!!  Your heifer is much the same type as ours.  Im not sure she is quite clubby enough to be considered clubby....she would need to be wider based and have more bone and bloom.  She certainly, however, is a perfect breeding heifer IMO. 

DLD

Nice heifer.  I vote with the head shaping crowd as well.

Bawndoh said:
This whole poll reshaping thing just gives me the willies....eww. 

Isn't it much more humane to anesthetize the calf, sterilize and deaden the area, and clean it up and stitch it back up afterwards, even if you do take out a little more bone, than just to cut the horns off, with no medications or cleaning and leave an open wound packed with gauze or seared over with a hot iron?

shortdawg

The head shaping deal would make her a little fancier but she's a nice heifer any way. She's sure got plenty of thickness and will probably raise you all a great steer some day.

CAB

I personally don't have any issues with her poll, so you can tell she was a horned heifer, no big deal. She's the kind of complete heifer that we need to be finding @ or near the top of the classes. Very nice buy IMO. Brent.

oakbar

I agree with CAB!  Nice heifer, looks like she's be very sound, and the kind that we should be picking for our breeding heifers.  Unless you're going to make the investment to campaign her nationally, I guess I wouldn't bother with the whole poll reshaping.  Her poll doesn't bother me at all!!

justme

I really like her...I think she'll do well for your daughter and make an even better mama.  All I could see is those flip flops though....ugh watch those toes!lol (thumbsup)

bcosu

personally I think she will be a good all around heifer. She seems to posses enough thickness and still have an acceptable amount of body. The only thing I would change would be to flatten out her hip just a tick. Getting her top down will help evenout that hip too.

DL

DLD said:

Bawndoh said:

Isn't it much more humane to anesthetize the calf, sterilize and deaden the area, and clean it up and stitch it back up afterwards, even if you do take out a little more bone, than just to cut the horns off, with no medications or cleaning and leave an open wound packed with gauze or seared over with a hot iron?

Nice heifer - I like her - since she needs to be dehorned I would have her cosmetically (surgically) dehorned for the reasons DLD says - it is more humane, less painful - cattle remember painful and unpleasant incidents and people - for a show calf more humane and less painful is a good thing

ruhtram

I really like the heifer. Are you planing on flushing her after showing her?

SKF

DL said:
DLD said:

Bawndoh said:

She has been dehorned recently. So I don't see the need to reshape her head. It would be one thing to do it while being dehorned but since that has been done I am not going to worry about. It must be the angle of the picture.

Nice heifer - I like her - since she needs to be dehorned I would have her cosmetically (surgically) dehorned for the reasons DLD says - it is more humane, less painful - cattle remember painful and unpleasant incidents and people - for a shho calf more humane and less painful is a good thing

SKF

ruhtram said:
I really like the heifer. Are you planing on flushing her after showing her?

We have never done any flushing before. I would like ot try it so I guess we will see how her first calf turns out.

DL

SKF said:
DL said:
DLD said:

Bawndoh said:

She has been dehorned recently. So I don't see the need to reshape her head. It would be one thing to do it while being dehorned but since that has been done I am not going to worry about. It must be the angle of the picture.

Must have been the angle - if she has been dehorned then you are (IMHO) good to go -

Cattledog

I really like this heifer.  She has that look like she will be a beautiful cow after her show career!