New Showman, Need Help

Help Support Steer Planet:

Audaxi

Hello,
This year, during the nwss, I participated in the catch a calf competition and managed to catch one (on the third try  :-\). Nonetheless, I am going to be getting a new steer in May, and honestly have no clue what to do to prepare, train, and show my cow. This includes things like grooming, as well as general halter breaking and showing tips. I currently have cows, and had one that was particularly friendly (he'd come barrelling across the pasture to the backyard fence when he heard the lawnmower), but I've never properly trained one to show unless you count skiing behind them after making the mistake of deciding to try to rope a 600lb heifer to try and halter. Anyways, I was wondering about 3 main categories of cow showing (if that's what you would call it):
1) Training
2) Grooming and Preparation
3) Showing
I currently live on 32 acres and plan to house the calf at first in a 40-50 ft diameter round pen, then moving it to the grass pasture of about 20 acres with our other cows. We grow alfalfa hay and feed 2x a day during the winter, and usually don't grain cows unless we plan to eat them soon. Is this a proper diet and/or housing situation for a cow that needs to be shown at the nwss next year? Thanks for any help, as I have only shown and judged horses before, so I have no idea what to do with cows.

Aussie

There is lots of knowledge and info on this board. Some of what you are after is on the front page under articles.

frostback

Where do you live? You may PM me if you are not comfortable saying it on here. Is there a 4H beef club around you where you can find people closer to help? You will get a lot of help here but someone coming to your place a couple times may really help. If you are still at Denver and can go to the market show and the prospect shows, you can watch how one is shown and there will be people around that you can ask questions about grooming, and see the products. Go and get catalogs from Weaver and Sullivans so you can see the grooming products but relax you wont need all of them.

BuckeyeBeef2

there are many different ways of going about this...many people have different ways and different success stories, so I must agree and say look at some article and facts, if you start getting everyones opinion in, you could just get flustered.  It also depends on the calf also, sometimes one thing may work better than another, or one thing may not work at all.  Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to ask, im no expert, but I can answer them to the best of my knowledge or get a hold of someone that does know.