New steer; Troubadour

Help Support Steer Planet:

SlickTxMaine

This is my son's steer for our local show, late Feb.  He is a mid October and weighs approximately 575.  This is the rat tail steer I posted about a month ago.  We decided to buy him anyway.  This is also the steer that became ill right after purchase that I was sure had coccidiosis.  He went off feed and stalled out for a couple of weeks, but is now back on full feed.  Comments welcome.

Attachments

• 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    657.2 KB · Views: 247
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    534.6 KB · Views: 220

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
What makes you think he is a rattail , the rattails we had 30 years ago were slick tailed ,didn't grow very well and were usually darkier than this calf ...This was from the simmital side of things ,and back then no one even questioned the Charolais  x about being a rattail .... Since HEAT WAVE came in the picture it has changed things some ... If you can buy one cheaper using the rattail myth more power to you cause thats how it has been used in the sale barns .....The true rattails back then didn't even fatten good ....

SlickTxMaine

I had never seen or heard of a rat tail steer.  When we looked at him and other calves, the breeder called it a "rat tail".  So, if he is or isn't...I don't know. 

shortdawg

I think that rascal could be pretty good ! Feed and get some hair on him and he should od pretty good !

SlickTxMaine

shortdawg said:
I think that rascal could be pretty good ! Feed and get some hair on him and he should od pretty good !

Thanks Shortdawg.  We think he has some potential.  Also, our show is slick, so while we rinse him daily and have him under fans, all the hair will come off prior to the show. 

Simmymom1

(thumbsup) Feed him out right and that is going to be one heck of a slicking calf!!  Good luck with him..I like him!!

rackranch

The troubador we put in the barn this year is really feeding out well... Yours looks like he has a good foundation to build on so he may surprise you in 60 days... I would go ahead and get the dehorning behind you and get him up to about 18lbs of feed a day before the dog days of summer kick in... Keep us posted if you take him to the BBB..

twistedhshowstock

Stout, powerful calf.  Feed him right and get him fat and he will be really fun for you.  I wonder if the guy you got him from just said "rat tail" as a way to identify him.  I would call him rat tailed, but not a rat tail.

Bulldaddy

I agree with Fredy and Twistedhshowstock, I don't think that calf is a true rat tail like you used to get with a Sim X Angus cross sometimes.  Looks like he will be an easy feeder now that you have him straightened out.  Good luck.

SlickTxMaine

The breeder told us that he thought he was the best calf he had in the lot, many people looked at him but were afraid of him because of his tail.    These pics do not do him justice.  He is really a stylish calf and looks to carry down into his lower quarter nicely, which does not really show on these pics.   

SlickTxMaine

rackranch said:
The troubador we put in the barn this year is really feeding out well... Yours looks like he has a good foundation to build on so he may surprise you in 60 days... I would go ahead and get the dehorning behind you and get him up to about 18lbs of feed a day before the dog days of summer kick in... Keep us posted if you take him to the BBB..

Hope this is not a stupid question, but what is BBB?  We would have dehorned him by now, but after his illnes, I wanted to get him stabilized back on his feed before we hit him with something else. 

Latest posts